Please explain how can I remove cable from steering tube on Alpha 1 ??

al1026

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1984 Mercruiser 4 cylinder
Alpha 1
Rack & pinion power steering

I am in Fl and use often., but between trips boat could sit a week or more... Get into boat, move steering, extremely tight almost too the point of locked but after a number of hard turns on wheel frees itself and steers okay all day. Sometimes steering is harder then other times, but attributed this too cable .

Other day it totally locked up. After a hour of messing around trying too free, greasing like crazy nothing,

TIME TOO CHANGE CABLE
On forums, You Tube, and other sources tells you, does not really show you , how too remove, bang, twist, destroy your boat,
But still does not show how cable comes out of tube
My goal is too remove entire housing with cable from helm too stern. Grease, install new cable , then re- install

THIS IS WHAT I HAVE DONE SO FAR
Removed coupling
Opened large bolt that held cable too steering tube
removed clevis pin and was able too pull tube which freed it self from assembly
unbolted that long threaded steering tube from adaptor
Loosened Bolt that holds adaptor, thinking I can removed all the cable with housing, but must be stripped, just turning but not separating from power steering ?
Everything is loose
I am confused, never doing this , Do not want too bang, twist, destroy, just want too remove cable from boat .
Is cable supposed too come out of tube ?? Is it attached inside of tube?

Am I going about this all backwards , wrong?

Does the cable start at back end?? How is cable secured into that tube , that nut ??
Is circle at end the starting point, and that stainless nut holds cable
Going into cabin wanted too see the other end
Goes into rack & pinion steering bar
Two nuts and bolts holding cable
Tried loosing jam nut and it spun twisting back .

Walked away, looks better in morning, and maybe somebody in this forum and say, its easy, your almost there, ???

thanks guys

al1026

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Follow up,
My fishing buddy knew exactly what too do.
Never noticed this explanation on any forums or you tube
Have too start from helm steering .
Since I had some electric switch work too do decided too remove rack & pinion and electric panel . .
Once everything was removed we were able too get too cotter pin/ bolt and release cable
Possibly you don't have too removed rack & pinion but in my case was a good thing ( will explain later )
Once rack & pinion was loose, taking off cable was easy
Once removed from helm we taped a electrical cord too cable end.
Pulled thru gunnel .
We used electrical cord, strong
Leave electric cord after cutting tape and removing old cable .
Once your ready too install new cable tape new cable too electric cord pull new cable back into helm area. This saves back breaking snaking of new cable .

Called a marine surplus here in Daytona . They said bring it in will match it up.
Once we got there , they knew exactly what I had and said they don't make that any more.
Cable part that connects too my rack & pinion steering was the issue.
Since this place is a discount marine store ( they sell on line (Surplus Unlimited ) for not much more then box store I got a new helm assembly, in box included new cable , instructions , same length 16 ft

The part that was stainless with whole that attaches with clevis too steering assembly is actually part of the cable .
I thought the cable had too be inserted into black housing, ( wrong ) all one piece sold as is .
The threaded tube that I could not remove is just a guide, used on mercruiser power steering back in 1984
Cable slides thru it. Rusted , Keeps cable straight , Not screwed in, twisted, clamped, or anything just slides thru and everything gets installed
Cable stainless with whole is all part of the cable .
Doing install I start from stern, re- attach everything, secure cable, tape end too electric cord, pull back and hook up
There are nuts for adjusting tension

Hope this helps somebody