Plastic Sleeve vs Solid Hub

HD2Pct

Recruit
Hi -

I am a newbie that just picked up a '96 Rinker Captiva BR. Power is a 5.7 Merc Alpha One Gen II. We just swapped a 17p prop for a 19p, which seemed to be more appropriate at getting the right RPMs at WOT.

The mechanic did this for me as part of another small job and indicated that I didn't have the "right kind of hub", which I didn't question because I didn't care - I just wanted it back by Labor Day!. My 17p that came off the boat (with the "wrong" hub) is a Michgan Wheel brand 15x7 with a solid hub.

I looked up the P/N for this solid-hub prop in the Mich Wheel literature and it indicates that it meets the application. However, most of what is recommended for my application seems to use the plastic sleeve hub.

Can any propmasters on here provide some thoughts as to the application and practical differences?

Thanks!

HD2Pct

Recruit
Now that's interesting. Thanks.

I think I have figured it out. The prop is correct for the application but the people that sold it to me just stuck in a sold brass hub with a spline - no protection mechanism.

I really don't like that.

Last edited:

kbeckman

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

If it's a Flo-Torq II hub, you can just get the plastic hub and replace it. If you look at the picture, the black sleeve should be plastic. Mercruiser made a solid metal sleeve for high HP applications. The sleeve itself is available.

Attachments

• photo252374.JPG
    photo252374.JPG
    10.1 KB · Views: 0