Plastic prop for emegency spare?

ScottieinNC

Seaman
Well, while out Saturday we hit a submerged log and sheared a blade off our aluminum prop. Had to get towed three miles back to the dock! OUCH! Anyway, will be buying a new prop, but was wondering if anyone knows of where to purchase an emegency prop at. I seen plastic ones here on iboats, but they are discontinued??<br /> http://www.iboats.com/products/699/25153_emergency_reserve_propeller.html <br /><br />Any suggestions appreciated.

scubatrooper

Seaman
Re: Plastic prop for emegency spare?

I own one of these. It was free when I bought a new prop from Short's Marine on eBay. I don't know if he's still running this promotion but his eBay store can be found at http://stores.ebay.com/Shorts-Marine-Discount-Parts_W0QQssPageNameZviQ3asibQ3astoreviewQQtZkm He's got a few for sale right now for $19.95.<br /><br />I got a good deal on a brand new 14 x 23 Merc prop and prop wrench. I haven't had to use the emergency prop yet but it's peace of mind that I have one just in case.<br /><br />Steve

ScottieinNC

Seaman

Scubatrooper,<br /> Thanks! I have found a few of these on ebay, just what I was looking for! I have emailed the seller to see what I would need to make it work on my outdrive.

scubatrooper

Seaman

Scott:<br /><br />I'm sure you will hear back from the tech department (maybe after the holiday weekend). They were very helpful with my questions as this was the first prop I had to buy since I bought my boat. They sent everything I needed, emailed a tracking number, and shipped the same day. Everything (prop, prop wrench, free emergency prop) was $125.95 plus $15.00 for shipping (he combined shipping for me). Needless to say I was real happy with the deal and the service. Good luck! I hope you find what you're looking for.<br /><br />Steve

ScottieinNC

Seaman

That is a great deal! I'm gonna check him out for my replacement prop as well.....<br /><br />Just looked, seems like all he has is SS props that come with the plastic prop.<br />Got my eye on a used SS prop on ebay right now. So I may get my primary and reserve on ebay.<br /><br />Have a good Fourth!

scubatrooper

Seaman

Scott;<br /><br />You too! Good luck on your eBay bidding.<br /> <br />Steve

bayman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Scott,<br /><br />The plastic ones sound okay as a backup but I would rather have a real prop as a backup since they have much better performance. Would you rather end your day and go back home after hitting your prop? What if you hit the prop first thing in the day? Why not have a real backup and keep on boating. ebay is an option. Also, iboats is having a half price sale on some props. If they have what you want you could buy two and have a great spare instead of something to just get you back to the shore.

ScottieinNC

Seaman

Good point Bayman! After checking around, the plastic emergency props need the purchase of the correct sized hub for my setup. It would be about the same cost to purchase a used aluminum prop in decent enough shape to serve as a spare, and keep me in the water for the rest of the day should something happen.<br />didn't occur to me while I was on the spare parts bandwagon.