plastic kayak repair

maxxpower

Seaman
I recently bought a used Old Town kayak made of polyethylene plastic. A small 1 1/2" crack did not reveal itself until I got it home,of course. I have done a lot of searching around so I have a pretty good idea of how to repair this. Rough sanding, polarizing with propane torch, epoxy with matting. The kayak is constructed in 3 layers, polyethylene on the outside, thin layer of foam in middle, and another layer of poly on the inside. The outside layer is completely intact, so just the thin layer on the inside is cracked. The manufacturer recommends their own repair kit which is unavailable anywhere in my area. The kit uses a 2 part epoxy putty to fill gouges and cracks that did not breach the hull. Has anybody repaired polyethylene successfuly?What type of epoxy would you recommend? Can I get away with just patching the inside? Thanks in advance :)

SoulWinner

Commander
Re: plastic kayak repair

There is some stuff in the auto patrs store in the section with Permatex and silicone and stuff that is for repairing platic. I think is called Plastic Weld or something like that. Also, two part epoxy or JB weld should work too.<br /><br />Or you could just get a Land Cruiser :D :D :D

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Do a search on google and there are products available to repair polyethylene.<br /><br />It has to be repaired to endure flexing.<br /><br />Bob

Moody Blue

Captain

Hey maxxpower I don't know the specifics but it can be done by welding. Yes plastic welding. I worked with a fellow about a year ago that was very good at it. He used a micro torch and strips of material cut from a margarine container. I watched him make several repairs to different items and he made it look simple. The repairs were unbreakable. I tried it at home a couple times but ended up burning a hole thru the base material. Now that I think of it, there is a shop just outside of town that advertises plastic welding services. Maybe check the yellow pages or ask around some of the plstics fabricators in your area. Keep in mind that the repair must be flexable or it won't standup to the constant flexing of the hull. Good luck.

SoulWinner

Commander

RodC,<br /><br />I have heard of that but never seen it done. Sounds really neat. Think I might do some research on it. I am sure there a few web sites that tell all about it.

maxxpower

Seaman

Thanks for the replies! I marked the crack and took the kayak out a few times, it did not worsen. I am not as worried as I was because I think the inside layer is more for keeping the water out of the foam than for structure. I believe this is true because I noticed they melted the serial #'s on the inside through the thin inner layer and the foam, up to the thick outside layer. I do understand that the inside layer does provide some support so I will keep an eye on it. If the crack worsens I will look into the plastic welding, for now I have it sealed with good old DUCT TAPE!