plastic fuel tank install dilemma

roscozen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
HOW TO INSTALL?
i bought 2 wedge shaped fuel tanks to install against the sides of my 18' '59 glasspar. it prev had 2 bulky deckspace wasters and these resolve that problem perfectly. however...i talked to the tech engineer at the manufacturer and it seems to be the case that their recommended install kit (4 cleats and 2 poly straps) is not adequate for me to trust.
does anyone have direct experience with this?
what i could really use are pics of one installed securely.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: plastic fuel tank install dilemma

pictures of your situation would help even more for advice.

Dick Sorensen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Perhaps what I did may be of some help. I recently had a replacement tank fabricated for my 84 Rinker Cuddy. This boat had a 'soft deck' and had sat for 5 or so years...I didn't want to take a chance with all the varnish, etc. ...In removing the original tank I noticed that Rinker had held the tank in place with 5 to 6 inch straps of fibreglas and resin. So I duplicated this method with the new tank.... Put it in place, leveled it and then installed three long fibreglas straps across the top, down the sides into the bildge and then up the sides. let is dry...tested it...installed the new deck and had a great first season....hope this gives you some inspiration.

roscozen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

good point about the pics. i should have thought of that. i'll try to take some right now.

roscozen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ok, i bumbled around reducing the size of these so they would upload. i hope they help. any ideas?

Attachments

• TANK.jpg
    TANK.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 0
  • TANKGOESHERE.jpg
    TANKGOESHERE.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 0

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Normally those tanks would be installed between the outer hull and the hull liner. I will guess you want to install them in the cockpit up against the hull.

Is appearance an issue for you? If not, stainless steel straps, thru bolted to the hull should fix you up. If the tank seems a bit flimsy to have just two straps holding it, you might employ some 1/2" PT plywood or starboard to spread the load over the face of the tank. Alternatively, you could build some kind of box over them to secure and hide.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

agree. i think i would want the protected anyway. they are tough, but if the right thing fell against them in rough water, you could have a major problem.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

.... stainless steel straps, thru bolted to the hull should fix you up. If the tank seems a bit flimsy to have just two straps holding it, you might employ some 1/2" PT plywood or starboard to spread the load over the face of the tank. Alternatively, you could build some kind of box over them to secure and hide.

I agree with Chris. A sheet of 1/2" PT ply with straps over it bolted to the hull. Also make sure the tanks rest fully on their bottom on a solid surface. That means building a small raised platform if needed.

Also reinforce the hull with 1/2" ply where through bolted to help spread the load. Epoxy the ply to the inner hull, then do the through bolting. Use large SS Fender washers on the outside, and seal with 3m 4200 or Boatlife sealers (look in the iboats marine store).

Very nice upgrade to the boat. Be sure to follow CG regs for fill, vent and fuel lines. Don't forget to bond any metal parts of the fill and vent with the ground.

roscozen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i think you guys are right, i'm gonna go with the plywood and straps. i don't want it moving around at all, especially in a good chop 10 miles out to sea, although i'm sure someone would see the smoke, eventually.
thank you guys for those solid suggestions.