Plasti-Dip

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Thought I'd let you guys know about my experience with this stuff. I have an old Hypalon bucket boat that's seen better days. It works great for my purposes, but the floor has always leaked quite a bit. Just an inconvenience, but it can really be a hassle, especially on multi-day trips, so I resolved to try and do something about it. I didn't want to commit the cash or time required to replace the floor, and Gacoflex paint is $200 for the minimum size (five gallons I think) plus hazardous shipping costs, so I decided to give the Plasti-Dip a shot. I thought it would be worth a try since it has Toluene in it and is recommended for rubber.

I applied a total of three cans (fourteen foot boat). I estimate that I sprayed a little over two cans on the floor itself and the remainder on the inside perimeter where the floor meets the tubes. It adhered extremely well and made the floor look new. After several hours of drying time I began messing around with the frame and in the process dropped a 120 quart Yeti cooler and two full dryboxes on the floor several times with no consequences apparent in the new coating. I left the boat inflated for two days then rolled it up and put it away as easily as ever.

I haven't had the old beast in the water since the application, so the jury's still out, but based on what I've seen so far I'm willing to bet the results will be pleasing. I don't think the Plasti-Dip would be a good choice for high pressure applications (read tubes and inflatable floors), but for this job it seems to have worked out really well, and the best thing is it's cheap and widely available. I found mine at Lowe's. Just thought I'd share.

Pack Rat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Plasti-Dip

I use it on the ends of my ropes/lines to keep them from unraveling. Never tried the spray on yet...

lncoop

Vice Admiral

I use it on the ends of my ropes/lines to keep them from unraveling. Never tried the spray on yet...

It's really good for the right application. In case you're not familiar with bucket boats the floor is just a piece of Hypalon glued to the bottom of the tubes, so I'm hopeful that my "fix" will last. We'll see.

jacoboregon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Get that thing in the water and give us a report! It will be very interesting to see if it still leaks, and so far remains adhered.

I used plasti-dip on the bottom of my zodiac grand raid. There were some areas that were becoming so worn, the cloth was showing and the areas were leaking. I thinned the plasti-dip down and after cleaning the areas with MEK, painted it on. It soaked into the weave and impregnated it. For grins, I wanted to see how well the plasti-dip adhered to an area on the underside that was not compromized. I painted some on at the stern on the underside. I took the boat out a couple weeks ago for the first time since doing this and it peeled off like a wet band-aid. However, the leaks where the plastidip soaked in is intact and not leaking.

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

A friend of mine uses the clear one to coat electrical connections. I once made a 30 amp Y shore power cable. Coated the box containing the connections worked great for years. Never a problem. And the yellow color was even a perfect match.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Just returned from a three day float trip and am ready to declare the Plasti-Dip experiment an overwhelming success. The raft was loaded with a 120 quart Yeti, two dryboxes full of firewood, cast iron, and other such light items, and various chairs, propane tank, etc. strapped all over the frame. It's the floating version of the Beverly Hillbillies' truck.:rolleyes: Water intrusion was cut by over ninety percent in my estimation.

jamnn

Seaman Apprentice

I used Plastidip for my boat name over the top of the brand name rubber strip. I used red plastidip to cover the strip then after several coats and letting it dry I applied the decals for my boat name. After that set, I sprayed clear plastidip over the decals to keep them from peeling off. It has only been 3 months now but it still looks great.

scotts boat 4 (Medium).jpg
name.JPG

Last edited:

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

wow - great thread...
you guys are using the aerosol Plasti-Dip?
I see cans of brushable, and aerosol at the local hardware store

lncoop

Vice Admiral

wow - great thread...
you guys are using the aerosol Plasti-Dip?
I see cans of brushable, and aerosol at the local hardware store

I used the aerosol. There are several big patches on the floor that weren't really applied correctly (probably done by guides:rolleyes:). I sprayed quite a bit extra on those spots and just applied a nice even coat to the rest. Using that method I was able to obtain full coverage with three cans. Before the Plasti-Dip I had to bail several times a day, but not on my last expedition. All I had to do was flip her over once she was unloaded at camp and dump out the two or three gallons that accumulated throughout the day. When you account for splashing and a leaking water jug that's pretty good. Also, the floor still looks practically new after a weekend of abuse from rocks, boots, cooler and drybox bottoms, etc. Bestest ten bucks I ever spent. Next up, NRS raft sealant kit.;)

jamnn

Seaman Apprentice

I used the canned dipping stuff for the red background. I had to put a lot of coats on. I used the clear aerosol as that is all I could find in clear. The aerosol is definitely easier to apply.

halfmoa

Ensign

I've got a coworker that plastidipped the wheels on his vehicle. They look great with the exception of a few places where it was too thick. Those places peeled off like sunburnt skin. Apparently applying too thick without proper cure time is asking for failure. He reapplied using proper cure times and they're looking great 6 months later. Looking forward to a follow up!

jacoboregon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Apparently that plasti-dip is great stuff with many uses! :)