plans for outboard motor stand...anyone?

jameswilson95

Seaman Apprentice
Hi, I would like to build a wooden stand - with wheels (for ease of moving)for my 40 hp outboard motor. Does anyone have any good ideas / suggestions for this? :p

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: plans for outboard motor stand...anyone?

James, I screwed the legs of a sawhorse to a dolly. You will also need to support the lower unit, so it doesn't twist the top of the sawhorse.

Pony

Rear Admiral

I plan on making one for my 25hp...I grabbed some wheels off an old furniture dolly and i plan to just fabricate some sort of framework out of scrap 2x4s and use a scrap piece of 2x8 as a mock transom.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Here are photos of some that were made by iboats members. I captured them because I wanted to make one myself.<br />
motorstand5.jpg
<br />
motorstand4.jpg
<br />
motorstand3b.jpg
<br />
motorstand3.jpg
<br />
motorstand2.jpg
<br />
motorstand.jpg

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

The first pic posted by BoatBuoy was a stand I built when I wanted to hang two motors. It was on swivel wheels, but I found it too large and constantly in my way. It has since been dismantled and replaced by a smaller simple version.<br /><br />In this instance, I made it so that it could fold up flat when not in use. It can hang on the wall, or go up the the joist of my garage. Pic below:<br /><br />
stand2.jpg

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Does that one 2x4 at the bottom keep it from folding up with the motor on?

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

The horizontal 2x4 is fastened (lag screws) to the vertical uprights. The stand as it is shown, would indeed fold over forwards. The weight of the motor keeps it from doing that. The uprights are angled back slightly as well.<br /><br />I should probably add a safety latch to ensure it does not accidently get pushed over forwards.

joblo33

Chief Petty Officer

1644.jpg
<br />That's my stand. I made it out of some scrap metal around the house. It holds everything from my 1.5Hp 1cyl to my 65HP 4cyl and probably a lot more. If you have a welder or access to one it's easy to make something like this, it only took me about a half hour.<br />Eric