Plane issue

slackeribew

Seaman Apprentice
iI have a 2006 lowe stinger 175 w/60hp Mercury 4 stroke needing some advice on getting to plane quicker. It has a ss 3 prop. It says 12x22 1.83:1 on lower unit if that helps. I was wondering if a hydrofoil would help? Any input anyone has would much be appreciated. Other than this issue boat is great. Thanks

jestor68

Commander
Re: Plane issue

00440.jpg One of these would help to get on plane in half the time. It's called a Doel Fin. I believe IBoats carries them.

What sort of WOT rpm are you getting with your current prop?

I ask because most boats similar to yours are running 12-13 pitch props at the optimal 6000 rpm.

Your target WOT rpm is 5500-6000 rpm. If you are over propped, that will kill your hole shot(and your motor).

slackeribew

Seaman Apprentice

It runs about 6000 rpm now. I would a 4 blade make any difference? I just hate to drill holes and not work. When it does get on plane which takes 7 to 10 seconds or so I try and trim it up little for a little more speed and starts chopping( i guess is the word) real bad. When you get a couple of grown people, full live well, 3 batteries theirs a lot of weight in the back. Would moving 2 batteries up front Help?(or worth the hassle) It's not a major problem, but annoying trying to see over bow and trolling motor. A Hydrofoil or Doel Fin would be the easiest and cheapest way to go. Thanks for your input.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

4 Strokes are known to struggle with hole shot and need careful prop selection and perhaps other tweaks to get the best out of them.
Your boat is 1100 lbs dry weight so a 60 will be up against it when loaded.
Your numbers on the leg are the gear ratio.12/22 is the count, devide 12 into 22 you get 1.83:1
it means the prop turns once for each 1.83 turns of the motor.Your prop size will appear near the base of the blades or under the prop nut.Answer the stickys at the top of the prop forum and we can help you better.
Moving the batteries would help.You could just move the batteries forward long enough to test and then make the decision to move.Trim down for hole shot.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Actually, a 60hp isn't bad. I believe it's rated for a 75hp. The problem is the extra weight of the 4 stroke, 3 batteries in the back isn't helping either. Sounds like you're tail heavy. Move as much weight as you can forward. It will make a difference. I have a 60hp 4 stroke. It doesn't pop out of the water either. I have a weight distribution problem that I can't do anything about.. Given your WOT rpm, it sounds like you're perfectly propped......

slackeribew

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for input, I'll check prop # and get back to stickys, so do I try a hydrofoil? Yeh or neh (hands up) Thanks again

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

The foil can be effective. I had good luck on 50hp outboard and a 3.0 I/O.
They can however cause strange handling and extra drag.
For the money probably worth a try.
Something like smart tabs gently applied are probably a better bet.
Set them at just enough tension to get the job done.

slackeribew

Seaman Apprentice

The foil can be effective. I had good luck on 50hp outboard and a 3.0 I/O.
They can however cause strange handling and extra drag.
For the money probably worth a try.
Something like smart tabs gently applied are probably a better bet.
Set them at just enough tension to get the job done.

I'M going to try the hydrofoil and I'll let you all know how she does. Thanks again.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I must have mis-read something. Lowe 175 Stinger (guess that's the stepped hull like mine) 1.83 gearbox, 6000 rpm and 22"p.

Bam prop slip calculator says 68 would be the top speed with no slip and at a fairly large 20% you are still at 54.

I have a 90 on the same boat essentially and 50 is it on a good day. I'm running a 2.3 at 5600-5800 with a 24P XP Ballistic ss. My avatar is a wake pic and there isn't much boat in the water.

I think the 12-13p numbers are more like it. Maybe you have your tach on the wrong setting. A 13p at 6000 real rpms would get you 40 no slip and with 15% 34 which sounds like a better number. Additionally the 13 would drastically improve your hole shot.

Mark

jestor68

Commander

I misinterpreted that 22 thing initially also. There is no way that motor could come close to turning that kind of pitch(if there is one available?).

If he's turning six grand, he's got the right prop. The Doel Fin will get him up on plane in a jiffy. I have used them on every boat since 1986(when I discovered it) with positive results. Never experienced the strange handling you guys keep referring to. Must be something out of the rumor mill.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I misinterpreted that 22 thing initially also. There is no way that motor could come close to turning that kind of pitch(if there is one available?).

If he's turning six grand, he's got the right prop. The Doel Fin will get him up on plane in a jiffy. I have used them on every boat since 1986(when I discovered it) with positive results. Never experienced the strange handling you guys keep referring to. Must be something out of the rumor mill.

12/22 is the gear count. = 1.83 I'm guessing 11 or 12" prop.
If the foil is applied to a poor setup you could end up dragging it at an inch or two below the water.
I think you could see it could cause strange handling as you adjust trim.
at neutral trim the foil would be trying to bury the nose. As you trim up the prop is trying to push the nose up and the foil
because of the angle is trying to lower the stern.
Then of course there is the drag created.
The foil will probably help him but he still is operating a poorly setup boat with a heavy stern and a relatively light bow,
probably bounding unnecessarily in the waves.
You have an 1100 lb boat with an additional 400 lbs concentrated at the stern.

Maclin

Admiral

For a boat setup like that I would look into some trim tabs. Trim tabs on each edge of the transom give more planing aid and stability than something pushing up in the middle from below and behind the stern.

slackeribew

Seaman Apprentice

Hi all, Just to let you know I bought a Stingray XPI Hydrofoil. Couldn't install because I'd have to drill the skeg(don't know if that is possible) So I'm sending it back and I'm going to live with it the way she is. Thanks for all inputs. Happy Boating

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I think you may have read the instructions wrong. Every foil I have seen mounts to the anti vent plate(just above the prop)
To my experience the skeg isn't involved. Just to be sure we are on the same page the Skeg is the fin below the prop.
The install can be done in a few minutes usually with a couple of holes in the anti vent plate. If removal is necessary
you don't even have to fill the holes.

slackeribew

Seaman Apprentice

Excuse me Trim tap is in the way of mounting holes it looks like cast so I am not going to try. Sorry not the skeg.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I think there are many brands of foils. In 10 years on here I don't recall anyone having trouble mounting a foil.
The Trim tab is removable It serves as an anode to reduce electrolysis and can be adjusted to combat torque steer.
I used A Doelfin on our 50 hp outboard and my sisters Mercruiser 3.0 I/O It wasn't even close to bothering the trim tab.

slackeribew

Seaman Apprentice

I think there are many brands of foils. In 10 years on here I don't recall anyone having trouble mounting a foil.
The Trim tab is removable It serves as an anode to reduce electrolysis and can be adjusted to combat torque steer.
I used A Doelfin on our 50 hp outboard and my sisters Mercruiser 3.0 I/O It wasn't even close to bothering the trim tab.

Good for your sister. This hydrofoil won't work! I'Ve got a guy here from Cabelas that agrees with me so now after ten years you have heard of someone having a problem.

jestor68

Commander

A Stingray and a Doel Fin are not even close to being the same hydrofoil. You bought the wrong one. A Doel fin will fit on just about any outboard or stern drive. 00440.jpg

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Good for your sister. This hydrofoil won't work! I'Ve got a guy here from Cabelas that agrees with me so now after ten years you have heard of someone having a problem.
No reason to get snotty; I'm just trying the help you out with my experience and a alternative foil.
They are not all alike.

slackeribew

Seaman Apprentice

A Stingray and a Doel Fin are not even close to being the same hydrofoil. You bought the wrong one. A Doel fin will fit on just about any outboard or stern drive. View attachment 194307
Apparently you didn't here me I said I bought a hydrofoil I know the difference between a doel fin my subject was about a hydrofoil and yes a doel fin they will work. End of subject. I'll live with it. Good day