Pivot Pin O-Ring

tmasloske

Seaman Apprentice
Does anyone else have trouble when sealing a lower unit and tightening the phillips head pivot pin? When I seal up the lower unit, I put some scotchgrip 847 on the threads of the pivot pin. But, when tightening this, the rubber o-ring slips out of position and out from under the head of the phillips head. What am I doing wrong - too tight? I've thought about using a fiber washer instead of the o-ring. Anyone do that?

Thanks.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Pivot Pin O-Ring

There are different type pivot screws. The ones that accept the O Ring have a cupped iinner surface to retain the O ring. The ones that have a simple flat surface use a gasket.

If one tries to use a O Ring on a pivot screw which has a inner flat surface, the O Ring will slide out every time as there is nothing to keep it from doing otherwise.

tmasloske

Seaman Apprentice

I can't remember if I bought a kit or the components individually. Maybe the kit included the o-ring when I needed a gasket. I think the next time I seal a LU, I may just find a fiber washer and put some 847 on the threads and around the phillips head. I don't think that would tend to leak after the 847 dries.

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

I ended up using a fiber washer as mentioned. I also had the "cupped" pivot pin, but it's oversized head interfered with the LU casting around the pin. I could have removed some of the casting...but decided with plan B.

Mas