pitted crankshaft

Sal G

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am in the process of having my 140 1985 VRO rebuilt. My mechanic informed me that there is pitting on the crankshaft and it needs to be replaced entirely.He also mentioned the cost of a <br />remanufactured one is roughly $500. Just curious why they can't be repaired instead of replaced.<br />He also told me they bored out the cylinders.30 Isn't that the max a cylinder can be bored-which means that if something happens in the future I can't rebore? What size piston would they now use.<br />Original was 3.500. Thank you for your reply.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: pitted crankshaft

hello<br /> get a second on the crank. I have seen almost new cranks that had a pit or two. if it is only one or two pin holes in the casting and the needles cannot get "hung" in them it may be ok. .o3 is a normal overbore. sometimes .o2 will go. now the bore is 3.530. wiesco makes pistons in the .o44 and .064 range for some engines. I have seen some .o64 in service with no problems.if it is a looper I may have a crank . if it is a cross flow you can do better than 500. good luck and keep posting

Sal G

Petty Officer 3rd Class

it is a looper.So are you saying I should speak with the mechanic? I did notice before the piston /cyl failure that that particular cylinder had more play in it. The engine ran excellent but would stall out when first started and put in reverse- would also vibrate a bit and shake when first <br />starting to accelerate. Once it got going it was smooth. Also would idle with a slight knocking noise. Is $500 too much for a refurb?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

Hello<br /> yes some mechanics think the crank must be pit free. remember your dealing with castings. A minor pit that looks like a pin hole wont hurt it,remember if it is not somthing that will cause a roller bearing to catch and slide it will probably be ok.<br /> you would not belive how many almost new cranks I have seen with pits or pock marks. also if it is on a main bearing surface just a pin hole wont hurt. yes a reman from occ is about that. used around here about 300.If it is only one journal you may call OCC directly .a piston with play has nothing to do with crank bearings. the tolerance on the crankpin journals is less than .0005". so usually any wear at all shows up as a hole in the block. good luck and keep us posted.

Boilermaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Sal G, >>>I'm 1 town North of you and was wondering what shop you are using???

Sal G

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi Boilermaker - do you live in Franklin Square?<br />Using Ocean Front Marine in East Rockaway.<br />593-8331

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Dont worry about your bore size. You can still go .044 and .064 over. Then you can bore it to the 1988 spec of 3.685 and go .020, .030 and .040 over that.<br /><br />Good luck!

NEECAPRS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sal G: I have the same question that rodbolt had. Is just one journal pitted or are all of them bad? If only one is bad-- and it really is bad-- then $500 is way too high. If that's for all four rod journals, whether a 60 degree or 90 degree looper, then $500 is not bad.<br />When pits are light and scattered, the rollers can run right over them. But, when they form any kind of line across the journal that the roller can drop into or cause a substantial loss of support(~ 20%+)at that one roller position, then there will be trouble before long. Good technicians tend to be pretty conservative in these evaluations with your long term satisfaction at stake.<br />I have to say that I haven't seen that many pits in either new loopers or new crossflows-- and that's what we do is repair pitted and damaged journals! We've seen plenty of crossflows that were off-spec when new and a handfull that were badly crooked in the grinding machine, but, not pits. New that is. Motors on the shore get old fast-- and that includes pitting. :cool:

joeboata

Cadet

NEECAPRS, <br /><br /> You do crankshaft repairs? I've got a few that need some help. Do you have a phone #, email or website I can reach you at? Thanks,<br /><br />Steve xcoastie2@aol.com

NEECAPRS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Joe-and Sal, if you're interested: Yes, we do complete crankshaft journal repairs. Call us at (860) 683-1317 or see www.neecaprecisions.com. We'll be happy to talk over your needs! :)