pistons

DerekBogie

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1986 galaxy with a mercruiser 4 cylinder 2.5l i/o. the piston rings are seized and i had to break them off. the pistons are in good shape except 1 from where it looks like it had dings on the top from where the mechanic trying to bang out the piston. Is that piston needing replaced if it has a few dings on top? and also where can i get cheap piston rings for my engine? i have looked and looked but i cannot find a reasonable price.

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: pistons

Is that piston needing replaced if it has a few dings on top? and also where can i get cheap piston rings for my engine? i have looked and looked but i cannot find a reasonable price.

It may need replaced. A good machine shop can give you that answer. That is more than just a pic can tell. It sounds like they all need replaced fromt he discription. As for cheap rings, you dont them. Get good rings and a good hone on the cylinder walls. Of course then you will need a valve job also.

Do it right or do it again. Your choice.

Bondo

Staff member

Do it right or do it again. Your choice.

Ayuh,..... Bubblegum,+ Bailing Wire Ain't gonna cut it...

I'm guessin' you really need machine work,+ 4 New pistons, Atleast, for a Sucessful Rebuild...

DerekBogie

Seaman Apprentice

ive already honed the cylinder walls, and grinded and reseated the valves and replaced the valve seals. The pistons seems to be in great shape once they were cleaned besides the fiew dings on the top of the one. Heres they story.
I bought the boat in 2007. It was running in 06. The previous owner stated it had a bad head gasket. When i went to replace it in 09 i found water in the motor. The motor seems to still be in good shape it had enough oil to keep it from messing it up totally. The pistons were seized in the cylinders because the rings rusted up. The cylinder walls looked great after the pistons were removed and the pistons look good as well.

I heard that that motor may fit a 1986 chevy celebrity rings? im not sure. I see all these deals for around $50. but it seems its only for 1 piston. When i buy these sets it is by the piston or for all the pistons?

Bondo

Staff member

I heard that that motor may fit a 1986 chevy celebrity rings? im not sure.

Nope,... That motor hasn't seen automotive applications since the 60s...
It's Night, 'n Day different from the newer 2.5s
The cylinder walls looked great after the pistons were removed and the pistons look good as well.

Do they measure, "In Spec",..??