Piston problem on Evi 100

Cortes165

Seaman
I spoke too soon, my engine "was" running good. While at cruising speed (4500 rpm) the engine started dropping rpm. Immediately pulled back throttle and boat stopped. Engine rattled a bit while engine stopped. After checking a couple things started engine and slowly increased speed. Again engine dropped rpm and rattled to a stop. Wouldn't idle too good. First instinct was i lost a cylinder. Plugs were nice tan color. Did compression check and was down to 100 on two cylinders (left side or side with starter). Other 2 were were still at 120. Swore several times, through tools against wall. <br />Pulled head and found both cylinders scuffed up. Doesn't appear to be scarring. Top of pistons intact. There were small marks in the piston tops (not in metal but cleaned the carbon off) as if some sort of foreign object went through. Could this be skirt parts??? Would insufficient lube cause this problem??? Any ideas would be great.<br />I better quit now, since I getting steamed just talking about it............thanks in advance.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Piston problem on Evi 100

Yeah....harsh language does help.....sometimes.<br /><br />Scuffing cylinders usually indicates a lean condition. The small marks could be caused by skirt pieces or ring pieces going through. You won't know for sure until you get a look inside. Don't know the year....always good to post it. If it's a cross flow, you can pull the bypass covers and get a look at one side of the pistons. If you have a flat back exhaust cover, you can pull that to get a look at the other side. In any case, I would not run it anymore until the present damage is repaird and the reason for the damage is found and corrected.

Cortes165

Seaman

it's a 1991 VE100SLEIE. It's only 25 hrs old after a rebuild. I'm calling the dealer monday morning to see what they have to say.

G DANE

Commander

If you had a dealer to do the entire rebuild, by all means, take it back to him.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Ditto G DANE.<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty