piston flakes on plugs

jims3000

Seaman Apprentice
i have a 1973 merc 115 motor has ran fine untill i put seafoam in it.took the boat out ysterday and it lost power ck the plugs and noticed small metal flakes on it changed plugs and it ran fine untill it done it againe same cylinder it has 130lbs of compresion on all cylinders just wondering if the seafoam can eat away at the pistons or the plugs getting to hot.i look inside of the cylinder and it is comming from the very top of the piston.

gss036

Commander
Re: piston flakes on plugs

Are you sure it is flakes from the piston or is it "carbon"?

jims3000

Seaman Apprentice

it is a light dark grey like aluminum from the piston

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If it is infact piston, the sea foam should not cause that. More like metal fatiuge that was held there from the carbon.

How much is there?

jims3000

Seaman Apprentice

there wasnt much just enough to foul the plug a couple of times yesterday havent had it back out again yet

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Jim, sometimes carbon will short out the spark plug by bridging the gap with the carbon which is a conductor. If it persists, you likely have an issue.

jims3000

Seaman Apprentice

hopefully i can get it back out in a coupe of days to see how it does and let you all know and i appreciate the info thanks

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

DO NOT run it again until you get another opinion

Take that spark plug to someone well qualified

You could have a lean carb and could be doing damage

Better waste a little time than scorch a cylinder and piston.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

YES! TAKE THE PLUGS INTO A GOOD WRENCH NOW!
If its a silvery tiny dusting, your timing is off, maybe lean, and you are eating pistons!

timmathis

Lieutenant

The seafoam could have broke loose some trash in the carb, and that may has lead to a pluged up carb. That may call for a carb cleaning for sure.
Or like said above the metal could be stuck on the piston and broke loose with the carbon burn off. Hard to say what it has came from. Be sure and check the timing and make sure your carb's are clean. Keep and eye on it for sure. It will not last long if it is not set up right. Good Luck, Tim

j_martin

Admiral

How much sea-foam did you put in it. A lot will have the effect of leaning down the mix and possibly eating pistons. A little known fact is that too much 2-cycle oil has the same effect, grenading the engine instead of protecting it.

At any rate, do not run it until you know what is happening unless you have deep pockets and like to spend money.

hope it helps
John