Piranha Propellers?

Deimus

Petty Officer 2nd Class
does aqnty body have an opinion on Piranha Propellers? I am looking to try a few different props on my boat and the quick change design and affordability seems like the way to go. any thoughts?:/

evin268fs

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Piranha Propellers?

was considering a composite prop myself until I started doing some reading on the site, and found out the blades occationally break if they hit a fish or small branch at higher speeds, being that my friends and family water ski quite a bit and have people behind the boat, I have since had second thoughts. The savings may not be worth someone getting hurt, as small as the chance of a blade actually hitting them may be.

Originally liked the idea of the blades flexing to allow a higher pitched prop pulling like a lower pitched prop at take off and liked the price and the performace seemed to be very good.

Hope this helps

Deimus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

never thought of that. good point I will have "followers" too.:/

evin268fs

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I didn't either,until serching this site. Reletivly new to the site as well, but I did searches for Comprop, Piranha, Propulse, and composite here on the site. There is some good information. By the way this site is very addictive and throught the search feature you can find information about almost any product before you buy. First hand experiences, not advertisements, very helpful

imported_bjs

Petty Officer 1st Class

i dont know why anybody would want even try to make a prop out of composite.accident waiting to happen

hal2814

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I've been using the ProPulse which from what I hear is very similar. I've been really happy with it. I like the design and I also like how you can repitch without taking the prop off the boat (not sure if the Phiranna does that). I lose 3-4MPH against my old aluminum when the ProPulse is pitched the same but that may have more to do with 3blade vs 4blade than it does with aluminum vs composite.

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have a Piranha with 16 and 18 pitch 4-blades for 19' I/O BR 200hp. I like it better than the 19" aluminum I had on there - better hole shot, better handling at all speeds, maybe 2-3 mph less WOT. The Piranha is a very heavily built composite prop. The worry of a blade breaking off and hitting someone is just looking for reasons, IMO, but each has to make his own decision on that.

One hub and need to take it off to switch to different pritch blades, but easily done. Nice to just have 4 extra blades for "backup" prop or to switch from cruising to water sports if you want. I switch only if it's going to be a full day of one or the other, otherwise i use the 18p. The 16p certainly gives better hole shot for towing tubes, etc (or a Parasail in my case...can't wait for spring!!!).

maxxpower

Seaman

I have 2 solid seasons of watersports with my piranha without any problems. I am actualy a bit over-propped for skiing and tubing (14.25x21p) which puts even greater stress on the blades.
If there was a real chance for someone to get seriously injured
this product would not be on the market. I have touched bottom a
few times without any blade breakage. The fact that they are lightweight saves wear on your drive as well!