pink anti freeze question

ziggy

Admiral
is there any reason i shouldn't use last years pink anti freeze.

i drained all the water out, then did the pink anti freeze. then came spring and i saved it. still looks like pink anti freeze.

can i use it again this year?

chaparall villain 2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: pink anti freeze question

is it regular antifreeze or rv antifreeze .. i use rv antifreeze in mine to fill the block and exhaust because its more friendly to the lakes when i do my first start in the lake , plus its usually only 295 a gallon much cheaper

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

If it wasn't diluted with any remaining water left in the engine,why not...

ziggy

Admiral

yep, pink rv type anti freeze...
If it wasn't diluted with any remaining water left in the engine,why not...
all water was drained out prior to introduction. that said. i suppose there can be a trickle left in the block. i drained it till no more water drained out, not even a drop. still, i've no idea how much, if any was left. the anti freeze looks like new to me.

i could drain it out, but the used anti freeze is in my block and manifold now.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Just get an antifreeze tester for propylene glycol antifreeze and see what the freeze protection is.

NOTE: Antifreeze testers for propylene glycol (the pink stuff) will not work on ethylene glycol (the green stuff) and vise/versa.

ziggy

Admiral

excellent idea Don S. i'm embarrassed i didn't come up with that idea myself. crossed my mind, but never took hold. now i gotta find the proper tester. i've only got one for the green stuff.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Is your $1500 motor worth the $3 your saving?You sure you want to risk that? J

ziggy

Admiral

Is your $1500 motor worth the $3 your saving?You sure you want to risk that?
no, and no.

i'm becoming a cheap boater for lack of funds and i did save last years pink stuff. so it is a savings, probably more than 3 bucks. but again, no, the savings is not worth it.
but now i've got an ave. to discover what i really put in there. if it's up to snuff or not. i'll find out...

ps, i like yer avitar... ;) is that your kitty?

Last edited:

tkrfxr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Recycling antifreeze is done on a regular basis at my club...

There are boaters who have a 10-gallon drum and every year try to catch the stuff as it flushes through their engines and other systems....

They do freshen up the mixture by adding more pink stuff...

They use the tester, not only to check what's going in, but also what's coming out...

Seems like alot of work, but when you are that cheap, I guess it's worth the effort.

I personally don't like the stuff after it comes out of the engine exhaust....I doesn't seem ....hygienic...

ziggy

Admiral

but when you are that cheap
i didn't used to be that cheap. but the economy has got me on the run. sure wish i didn't have to by this frugal for sure..
I personally don't like the stuff after it comes out of the engine exhaust....I doesn't seem ....hygienic...
i don't catch it out the exhaust. i introduce it via the tstat and directly into the manifold. i catch it by draining the manifold and block. just like i do for draining the water out for an extended season.. the anti freeze never circulates through my cooling system and never gets mixed w/exhaust..
if it weren't for the anti corrosion properties of the anti freeze, i wouldn't even bother with anti freeze. but it does have the anti corrosion properties, so i feel the need (personal preference + stated to be used by the mercruiser s/m) to use it..