Pig Roasting help

Parrott_head

Chief Petty Officer
Some time back there was a post with photos here by someone on how to properly roast a pig. <br /><br />You used cinder blocks and aluminum foil to make the pit and cooked it for a day or so.<br /><br />I cannot find the post, can anyone help me?<br /><br />Thanks.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Pig Roasting help

dunno<br /> but if your close by I can be a taste tester :)

JRJ

Commander

Finally, a subject I know something about :p You're going to need at least a keg of beer, a knife and fork and lets see, where was I :D oh yea, someone digs a hole, builds a fire in it. Oops, not enough beer. Ok, season the meat, wrap it in wet burlap, put it on the coals, and cover with dirt. Leave it alone for about 6 hours. (note, this is how we did it at the last happy divorce party I went to) kind of interesting with all the x'es there :D No one complained, that I remember anyway. Good luck :rolleyes: (please note, i am not a chef, but I do know something about beer drinking)

ZooMbr

Petty Officer 1st Class

LF you do have a talent for writing. Got my mouth watering! SIL cooks one in a pit for a family get to gather every summer -- I can tell you 1LB per person is not enough!! Skip the fixings and 'pig' out on the meat. No family member misses this event -- I'm probably going to live a year longer just to get one more in. So, when I'm gone you will know I lasted a year longer than scheduled.

mattttt25

Commander

here's how we did it back in the day... dig a big hole, atleast 6'x6'x4' deep. fill it completely with wood and set ablaze. fill again with wood as it burns down. during this time (the night before), have penty of beer as you watch it burn. let the second load of wood burn down to ashes. you want to have some fire brick that is in the fire at this time. get them nice and hot. take two large hogs, already cleaned and gutted. lay the fire brick inside them and wrap each hog in chicken wire. now wrap each hog in a fire blanket and throw into the pit, right onto the smoldering coals. cover with corn stalks, and bury the whole thing back with dirt. let cook for 12 hrs or so, post a watch (who gets to drink more beer and watch the smoke coming out from the dirt pile).<br /><br />when the party is rocking and all the guests are there, gather around and dig up the hogs. open up and the blankets, cut away the wire, and remove the fire bricks. throw em on the table and go to town.

Parrott_head

Chief Petty Officer

Ladyfish,<br /><br />Thank you so much for the link. It was the one I was thinking of.<br /><br />Gonna try it this summer. <br /><br />Thanks again.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Lots of butcher shops have large trailered hog cooker grills that you can rent cheap if you buy the hogs from them. Well, I know they do here in Wisconsin cause they rented one for my cousins graduation party in Milwaukee. Saves you from having to build a cook site and make a mess out of the yard. The last one I ate was cooked on a motorized spit over an open hardwood fire.

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

my ski patrol does one each year to kick off the year in september, use a large kettle grill, 60lb of propane,200lb pig, and 8 hours, we cook em on its back slit open,belly up, toss a few loins in for extra meat. and keep the peekers away so it cooks. <br /> tried the rotissiery gig, romantic, hard to handle, this is easy to searve. effiecient, flavor comes much from the goo/sauce people pour on it to taste apart from the meat.