pier construction??

don flowers

Seaman
Let me start from the beginning. I am going to build my own pier. It will be in salt water, the deepest area will be bout 4.5 ft. The bottom is a sand, silt combination with no grass or rocks. I am looking for cheap, allow me to repeat, cheap way to set the pilings. The pilings will be round treated wood, about 5-6 inches diameter. A friend of mine installed his pier several years ago and used a water jet to set the pilings. The jet pump was expensive to rent, as well as to purchase. I have also heard of people beating the poles into place. The poles need to be set about 4 ft. deep in the bottom. I am looking for cheap easy alternatives to jetting. I once saw, I think, someone made some kind of tripod and a hammering device, but it was a long time ago, and I didn't think to take a close look. I was hoping that some one here had some ideas for me. Don

PW2

Commander
Re: pier construction??

I would be shocked if you could do this without getting the necessary environmental permits.<br /><br />That being said, use hollow aluminum pipe a couple feet longer than you need, and the strongest water pump you can reasonably get your hands on--pump water inside the pipe at the bottom as you beat on it with a sledge.<br /><br />Personally, I would get it done by someone that has the equipment to do the job, but then I am allergic to manual labor.

don flowers

Seaman

You are right about the permits. It has taken me 8 months to get all the permits. I'm only 50, so maybe a have a pier left in me. Also, if I choose to water jet them in what size pump do I need to get Hp, Hose size, Gallons per min. Etc. Don

Bondo

Staff member

I Don't Know what your bottom is like,...<br />But a House Sized Well Waterpump, with a Garden Hose,+ Chunk of 3/4" Pipe will Do the Job,..........<br /><br />It depends on How Big a Pipe you want to Hang On to during the Dig......<br />And,......<br />How Much of a Hurry you're in.......

mattttt25

Commander

bondo is correct- most of the time, garden hose connected to a long wand, fed from your house is all you need. you're just displacing the silt and allowing the weight of the piling fall. if it doesn't work, graduate to a power washer. that will usually do the trick as well. your biggest problem is getting the piling in place, trust me. they want float and getting them vertical is a b*tch.

LadyFish

Admiral

I've seen them take a PVC pipe and run it along side the pylon. Water flows through the PVC and displaces the sand and the pylon sinks into position.<br /><br />I would think you would have to have pretty good PSI pressure, more than a garden hose can provide. I wonder if a pressure washer could do the job.<br /><br />You're not really going that deep but you'll need a couple of friends to push banana.

Bondo

Staff member

Originally posted by Limited-Time:<br />
Originally posted by Bondo:<br /> I Don't Know what your bottom is like,...<br />
Amusing way to start a reply in DC. :eek: :D :D
Ayuh,...........<br />I Thought of That,........<br />And,...<br />Decided to Go With It anyway......... :D

don flowers

Seaman

Thanks guys for wanting to know what my bottom looks like, smile smile, I'm flattered, but I'm afraid to answer for the next comments, allright here it goes,LOL, my bottom is mixed sand and silt, about 4.5 ft. at it's deepest, and saltwater. If that doesn't make you smile nothing will. Don