Picking out Furniture

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
Now with our children grown and the grand kids getting older, we decided to get some new furniture. We have never owned new, just used stuff due to the accidents that happen from young kids.<br /><br />While looking at furniture, my wife would see something that she liked and I would examine its contruction and pass it by. The stuff that was sound and solid with the use of dovetail joints, glue, and screws seemed to be higher priced and the choices a lot less.<br /><br />Luck had it we did find a new bedroom suit that had all wood and screw & glue contruction. I feel that the furniture that is pressed wood with a picture of wood on it is cheaply made and a rip off to the people who don't know what to look for. Guess it falls under the catagory "You Get What You Pay For!"

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Picking out Furniture

Well made furniture is hard to find and harder to pay for.<br /><br />Go examine antique furniture at an antique store. There are reasons that stuff is still around. If you find furniture made like that of similar materials and with similar techniques it will still be around for your grandkids to use.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Hey SS, shoot me an email and let me tell you about furniture.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Spinner, I've sent out one last night and one this am. Hummm I wonder is something is wrong on my end. I didn't have any problems getting through Noel. Is any the furniture that you have for free? :D

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer

We have a Wood U place here and have bought much of our furniture from them. I've purchased the following from them:<br />bunk beds<br />2 end tables, <br />king size sleigh bed<br />chiffarobe<br />dresser with mirror,<br />twin bed.<br /><br />I leared to stain them and put polyurethane on them. I take pride in that I finished the furniture. It was much less expensive, the wood was solid oak (or pine for the kids furniture) with no presswood anywhere. The drawers were dovetailed.<br /><br />Just another option.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by SS Mayfloat:<br /> Spinner, I've sent out one last night and one this am. Hummm I wonder is something is wrong on my end. I didn't have any problems getting through Noel. Is any the furniture that you have for free? :D
Yea, that is strange. I even checked the spam filter and nothing there either.<br />What's your's and I will shoot you one, that is if you want to post it on here.<br /><br />BTW, no, the furniture is not free you goofy thing you. :D :p

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Spinner, hope this gets back to you, it made it to me.

aspeck

Staff member

Gonfishn has some nice stuff - seems well made. I imagine that is what Spinner is gonna tell ya.