PETA wont be happy with this, but I am.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Study says worms on fishhook feel no pain<br />Reuters News Service<br /><br />OSLO - Worms squirming on a fishhook feel no pain -- nor do lobsters and crabs cooked in boiling water, a scientific study funded by the Norwegian government has found.<br /> <br />The common earthworm has a very simple nervous system -- it can be cut in two and continue with its business,'' Professor Wenche Farstad, who chaired the panel that drew up the report, said Monday.<br /><br />Norway might have considered banning the use of live worms as fish bait if the study had found they felt pain, but Farstad said It seems to be only reflex curling when put on the hook ... They might sense something, but it is not painful and does not compromise their well-being.''<br /><br />The government called for the study on pain, discomfort and stress in invertebrates to help in the planned revision of Norway's animal protection law. Invertebrates cover a range of creatures from insects and spiders to mollusks and crustaceans.<br /><br />Farstad said most invertebrates, including lobsters and crabs boiled alive, do not feel pain because, unlike mammals, they do not have a big brain to read the signals.

spratt

Lieutenant
Re: PETA wont be happy with this, but I am.

Originally posted by KenImpZoom:<br /> ...do not feel pain because....they do not have a big brain to read the signals.
Hmmm, sounds like a PETA member to me...

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

PETA causes me pain... <br /><br />Maybe we should ban PETA..

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by KenImpZoom:<br /> They might sense something, but it is not painful and does not compromise their well-being.''<br /><br />
It's the drowning they get after being hooked that compromises their well-being. But I didn't say that.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

POOF PETA! :mad:

Triton II

Commander

Goes to show that there's not much to do in Norway during those long winter nights... or maybe research salaries are bad and lobster is expensive! :)

TexomaAv8r

Petty Officer 1st Class

Most of my worms die of drowning,a pitiful few die from the trauma of a fish bite :(

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

PEOPLE EATING TASTY AMINALS........

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

:D @JB<br />I don't like PETA.<br />I am offended by them.

tfjrc2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

There is a place for all of God's creatures on this planet.<br />For some, the best place is right next to the taters.....

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

What about the fresh shad I catch....do they feel it....<br /><br />I can tell you they don't because they don't live long enough after you catch them.... :D <br /><br />Jimbo...I agree 100%

Link

Rear Admiral

Were not worms worshiped in Egypt at one point in time?<br />They had their 15 minutes of fame ;)

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I'm just curious how much they wasted on that research?<br /><br />My question is why should it matter? Pain or not, their just friggen worms for petes sake! God made em to fish with.<br /><br />Need a study done on what gene determines PETA people. Once its found, then it can be DESTROYED!

dolluper

Captain

My wife likes cream cheese on her peta :D

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

dolluper....you're getting a little kinky on us now :D

Stumpknocker

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Well!!! Since the subject of worms has "surfaced" no pun intended.... if it were an issue.... one would think that PETA would be screaming their lungs out over FEAR FACTOR! They feed more innocent worms to people everyweek than most fishermen use in a year. Yuk.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

PETA,<br /><br />I couldn't possibly say anything more than what has already been said about those clowns, but I am sure they have a retarded, mind numb, response to this study.<br /><br />True or not true, I don't care.........

carrotsnapper

Petty Officer 1st Class

Besides PETA, who cares? God created them to be food. Enough said.

brother chris

Commander

It's called "The Food Chain" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<br />Bigger creatures eat smaller creatures. Pretty simple. <br />PETA should be banned.