Pet store animals cooked in school

KaGee

Admiral
<br />Fri Jan 21 2005 08:35:35 ET <br /><br />A Guinea pig and rabbit purchased from a Geauga County pet store ended up on plates at a Cleveland area high school. <br /><br />A 16-year-old student skinned and cooked the animals during a living skills class on Wednesday, prompting student and parent complaints to the Thompson Township Police Department and Geauga Humane Society. Officials at both agencies said they are investigating. <br /><br />Friday editions of the CLEVELAND PLAIN DEALER detail how the incident may warrant animal cruelty charges. <br /><br />Geauga Humane Officer Sarah Westman said it's illegal to needlessly kill "companion animals" raised for domestic purposes. <br /><br />"Something irrational and wrong happened," Westman explained. <br /><br />Ledgemont Principal Beto Gage acknowledged that "misjudgments" took place but said the boy's actions are far from criminal. <br /><br />The student - whose name was not released - described what he did in terms of harvesting meat to fix a dish for classmates, Gage said. <br /><br />The principal described the boy as an active hunter. The Ledgemont district covers the rural communities of Montville and Thompson townships, where killing - and then eating - wild game is fairly common. <br /><br />The hunt, however, usually doesn't take place at Pet Supplies Plus. <br /><br />The boy went to the Chardon store and purchased the Guinea pig and rabbit after coming up empty in the great outdoors. <br /><br />"My skin's crawling over this," said Linda Schempp, a spokeswoman for the pet store chain. "We sell our animals to be family pets - not food."
Who says Ft. Wayne is the dumbest??? <br /><br /> :D

KaGee

Admiral
Re: Pet store animals cooked in school

THIS JUST IN:<br /><br />We are glad to report the GERBILS are safe!

gaugeguy

Captain

What about all the mice, rats, and other RODENTS they sell to feed snakes? It's OK to feed a boa, but not a classmate?

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

were the gerbils safely "tucked" away somewhere??

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

It's a slippery slope, a slippery slope, I tell ya. <br /><br />We got to nip it, nip it in the bud! <br /><br />Next thing you know they'll be serving roast retriever, boiled beagle, deep-fried dachsund and saint bernard salad in the school cafeteria!<br /><br />Nip it in the bud, I say!!!!

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by jtexas:<br /> It's a slippery slope, a slippery slope, I tell ya. <br /><br />We got to nip it, nip it in the bud! <br /><br />Next thing you know they'll be serving roast retriever, boiled beagle, deep-fried dachsund and saint bernard salad in the school cafeteria!<br /><br />Nip it in the bud, I say!!!!
Just like in Korea :p

Carphunter

Commander

I don't see the problem here. :confused: .................. :D

KaGee

Admiral

"saint bernard salad"
J.... you're killing me!<br /><br />
36_11_6.gif

aspeck

Staff member

Tastes okay to me, er, uh, I mean, sounds, that's it, SOUNDS okay to me. No problem here either, as long as they leave Crappy's gerbils alone it is all good!

Carphunter

Commander

Tylerin tells me that gerbils taste great.<br /><br />(you might want to eat 'em before he gets hold of 'em though) ;)

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer

Pets...it's whats for dinner!!!<br /><br />Now if that danged cat would just stand still.<br /><br />Here, kitty kitty.

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by jtexas:<br /> It's a slippery slope, a slippery slope, I tell ya. <br /><br />We got to nip it, nip it in the bud! <br /><br />Next thing you know they'll be serving roast retriever, boiled beagle, deep-fried dachsund and saint bernard salad in the school cafeteria!<br /><br />Nip it in the bud, I say!!!!
Hey Barn...er.. jtx, i'll have the bud, cheers mate :D

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

So exactly what is the difference between a rabbit raised as a pet and rabbits raised for butchering? Same rabbits! Worked with a gent that raised rabbits. Some went for pets, most went for stew.<br /><br />Sorry, but I ain't eating no Guinnea Pig! YUCK! Get rid off all that hair and what's left? Can't be much!

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Nothing wrong with killing animals for meat its more the context of what he did and why and how he killed them. I hope were not going to see him later in life on CNN with neigbours saying , quiet boy tended to be a loner oh yeh remember the time at school he cooked the rabbit. Whoed have guessed hed have done that. ;)

Bob in Calif.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yum, I'll have a slab of Lab please and a glass of Merlot.<br /><br />Then I'll go to the "Gerbil Ranch" in San Frankissco, for the Gerbil round up and the "hide the Gerbil contest"!!!!<br /><br />And then........... :eek: <br /><br />...Bob in Calif...

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Wonder how he dispatched 'em?<br /><br />more from The Cleveland Plain Dealer:<br /><br />
<br />The student told [Principal] Gage that he butchered the animals at home before bringing them to school and placing them in the class refrigerator Wednesday. His living skills teacher, Diana Stevens, sets aside that day for her students to prepare a meal of their choice, Gage said. <br /><br />The boy had asked Stevens if he could catch and cook a wild rabbit. <br /><br />She approved, providing he dress - or gut - the carcass before class, the principal said. <br />...<br />Stevens allowed him to skin the animals and go ahead with the food preparation. Those in the fourth-period class who didn't want to watch were allowed to go into an adjoining room, Gage said. Meat carved off the animals was cooked and then sampled.
The Humane Society Officer called it "irrational." Here's a quote:<br />"What are you teaching kids about compassion for animals if you allow something like this to go on inside a classroom?" Westman asked. "This is way, way out of bounds." <br /><br />I have an answer: you're teaching them that even rational, compassionate people eat meat!

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

These folks should come to one of my Sportsman's Club 'Game Feeds'.. <br /><br />Ya never know what's in the "Mystery Meat" suprize thats highlighted every year.<br /><br /> :D

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

I agree that nothing wrong was done. They allowed the students who did not want to watch to leave. I am sure not everyone "HAD" to sample the Bugs Bunny Casserole either.<br /><br />I don't know about the Guinea Pig though. I will eat fried squirrel, but that is about all the rodent I want. I guess you never know until you try it.<br /><br />AK Chappy

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

I'LL DONATE TO HIS LEGAL DEFENSE FUND IF HE NEED ONE! NOW WHAT THEY DO TO CRITTERS ON FEAR FACTOR IS CRUEL AND UNUSAL! DEMENTED