Pesky PWC, Learn water ettiquette!

sunpacman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Went fishing yesterday knowing that there would be alot of yahoosss out on the busy labor day weekend. Decided to of the beat a path from my normal spots knowing that they would be all fished out and of course, I would not want to devulge on the areas I fish.

Just after setting anchor, (2) Jetski boats go screaming by within 100 ft. of my boat between me and the mangrove tree line. Within and hour or so, another Seadoo jetboat with 3 people on it goes zippin thru.

I continue to fish with no more disturbances. While heading back to the Marina, I passed a no wake area and just as boats where comming off of the no wake, jetskis were jumping the boats wakes.....

What is up with all of this congestion...is it only going to get worse. Do I need to continue my offshore fishing and just give up on the inshore business????

PWC's you have a right to the waterways as well, just learn some eyyiquette and be safe!

Owe woe is me!!!

Rob454

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Pesky PWC, Learn water ettiquette!

This from a ex jet skier

I see boaters do just as bad if not worse than jet skiers. its not the machine its the driver. its not the jet skis or boats fault the operator is a retard
Rob

ziggy

Admiral

yep, i think the waterways are gettin more populated. i think theres statistics to prove it, like on the uscg website maybe? as for the fleas. they are brazen and uneducated usually. ya gotta watch'em. i went out early sat. it was nice early, but by mid afternoon, it was a cluster. my gripe unbelieveingly so. was the two sail boats that decided to clip me 5' from my boat while i had an unmanned helm........and yes, i just got rid of the flea for a boat after 9 years of jetfleain........i've also completed advaced pilotin in the power sqadron too. + i been boatin since i was old enough to lift the oars to motivate a row boat..... uneducated boaters bum me out for sure. but there ain't nothing to do but watch out for them.......remember. you can do anything to prevent a collison. includeing disobeyin the rules.......as that is the final rule that superseeds all other rules....

personally, i try to go where other boaters ain't though it don't always work. + i can move if i don't like it...........i like my privicy....... weekdays are best for that, not holiday weekends......

Rob454

Chief Petty Officer

I dont even bother to go on big weekends. I havent gone for a while and made the mistake of going on the 4th of july. sort of reminded myself why I should stay away from big weekends on the water. Too many retards out there boaters and jet skiers alike. Im not saying Im mister boater but I basically stay away from everyone.
Rob

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

it's happening every where. the roads, water, stores, restuarants, theaters, it's called respect for others. when i first started boating you never rocked the fishermans boat. never ran across someones ski rope. never japped any one on the road. never gave the finger to another driver. didn't talk at the movies. and cell phones weren't in eateries.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Im usually pretty careful about the rules of the water, but I got pulled over for the first time on the long weekend. Was driving a friends fishing boat through the no wake zone, and apparently i was going 11 mph in a 10 zone , silly me! ;)

waterinthefuel

Commander

I can agree that some jet ski'ers are very rude, but some boaters can be much worse. I actually had some guy with a 200hp bass boat try to keep up with me or chase me, I couldn't tell. My jet ski couldn't outrun him, but like a gazelle, I could out manuver him easily. Still scared the s**t out of me!

MikDee

Banned

it's happening every where. the roads, water, stores, restuarants, theaters, it's called respect for others. when i first started boating you never rocked the fishermans boat. never ran across someones ski rope. never japped any one on the road. never gave the finger to another driver. didn't talk at the movies. and cell phones weren't in eateries.

Wow! You must be old!,,,:D But I maybe older, and I too remember then, that was the good old days, when respect meant something. I don't think it's taught anymore, It's a shame it's gone right down the tubes nowaday's.

MikDee

Banned

I can agree that some jet ski'ers are very rude, but some boaters can be much worse. I actually had some guy with a 200hp bass boat try to keep up with me or chase me, I couldn't tell. My jet ski couldn't outrun him, but like a gazelle, I could out manuver him easily. Still scared the s**t out of me!

Don't you know that boats have the right of way over jetski's! ;) NOT!

At my age, I try harder not to offend, being the bad rap jet skier's get, but it seems that some boaters, and jet skier's don't even acknowledge you exist, and come right at you head on, or will run right over you, or pull right out in front of you (sometimes even towing a skier, or tuber?) if your head is not on a swivel, or if you're distracted, or not paying attention for a second, it could be a disaster!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the time is going to come that it gets so bad, that there will be a required course, and test for a boating license, just like the automobile. by the way i'm 59.

hbski

Cadet

the time is going to come that it gets so bad, that there will be a required course, and test for a boating license, just like the automobile. by the way i'm 59.

As there should be. We boat in Nevada and anyone born Jan 1st, 1983 and later needs to pass a test to legally operate a vessel above a certain HP (15 I believe) there.

MikDee

Banned

Hey tashasdaddy, just kiddin, but I'm 62, and I bet you do a lot of what I do, shake your head, when you see some of these yahoo's on the water. I took a jet ski course from BoatUS online in NY in 2002 that was supposed to be lifelong, nationwide, & permanent, till I moved to Pa. and that was not recognized so had to do it all over again last year 2006, :rolleyes: along with boating experience since I was about 10.