pertronix ignitor II

malaki mama

Cadet
hello to everyone on the forum<br /><br />I am considering going with a pertronix ignitor II on my 5.7l 350 mercruiser sterndrive. <br /><br />It seems that many of you have taken the step to a pertronix. What if anything do I need to watch out for? Is this a simple install?

f_inscreenname

Commander
Re: pertronix ignitor II

Buy it. You will not be sorry. Compared to points there is no downside.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Simple to install. Make sure you get the right one for your distrib. You should get the coil with it and make sure to eliminate your ballast wire. Probably should recheck your initial timing once you install it.

MrBill

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Installed one early this year...wish I had done it years ago. Easy install, adjust timing after...mine was out several degrees due to offset in the replacement distributor plate.<br /><br />Originally I ordered the Pertronix I, then realized the extra protection and performance with the Pertronix II. I sent back the 1 and they gave me full credit towards the 2. Spend the extra, get the Pertronix II. Follow the directions and you'll have no problem, took me about 45 minutes but I was slow and deliberate.<br /><br />Now I get easy starts, great idling, and better performance throughout the RPM range...AND I know my fuel economy improved dramatically. I didn't track it but I put more hours on the boat this year and used the least amount of fuel in five years.