Perplexing RPM issue

vranasaurus

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1989 90 hp Evinrude.<br /><br />I just rebuilt it, new carb kits, had a link & sync done by a shop(did good up to that point but couldn't figure it out by reading the manual.) Did a proper break in.<br /><br />When I get the motor to wide open throttle it will only pull 4200 RPM's.<br /><br />The current prop is a stainless steel 13-3/8" X 17.<br /><br />I went to my local shop and asked to borrow a prop to try to get my RPM's up. They had an aluminum 13-3/4" X 15. When I put it on I got the same 4200 RPM's.<br /><br />What is keeping my RPM's down?

Basscat 1

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Perplexing RPM issue

Make sure the butterflies on the carbs are open all the way and the timing linkage is up against the stop at wot. You can do this of course with the engine off at home.<br />Have you checked your timing at wot?

vranasaurus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I checked all of that and the timing was set at the shop.

vranasaurus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not since it has been rebuilt. And since I got it in need of a rebuild I don't know before that.<br /><br />Also it makes no difference how much the boat is loaded. 5 guys or two guys same RPMs.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

I think we should start by verifying the tach. (Sounds like we may have a 4200 tach) Ask the shop that did the sync & link and set the timing what tach they used. They should have used a shop tach. They can tell you what rpm the timing was set at.

vranasaurus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Honestly i may have to find someone near here to look at it. The mechanic from back home may not have timed it right because I don't think he timed it with a shop tach.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

What kind (brand) of tach is it? Is it set on position 6?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

It really sounds like its not working properly. It didnt respond to change in load or pitch.

vranasaurus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Tell me if this sounds right:<br /><br />The idle timing screw is all the way in or advanced and it still idles a little low.<br /><br /><br />My thought is to mark where the timing is now and advance it a little to see if that affects the RPMs.<br /><br /><br />When I first put it back together I set the WOT with the starter. When it didn't run right I checked it again and it was off. I thought the fly wheel might have shifted but it hadn't TDC was TDC.<br /><br />Will it work to adavance the timing a little and see if that gets the RPMs up?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The idle screw in the throttle arm should be about halfway in. What "idle timing screw" are you refering to?<br /><br />Advancing the total timing may burn a piston if you go much past 28*. <br /><br />If the tach doesnt respond to changes in weight or pitch I would suspect a bad tach.

vranasaurus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The idle screw(idle timing screw as it adjusts the idle threw the timing)is all of the way in.<br /><br />I was reading the other thread where the guy is haveing a similar problem. I might try and check the timing again. I also may check to see if my tach is working properly.