Perplexing overheat condition.

WardenJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm still battling an overheating Volvo Penta 170 inline 6. It overheats almost immediately after starting. I've confirmed good flow through the entire cooling system and good impeller on the sea water pump. The thermostat is good, and it overheats whether or not the t-stat is installed. I Was able to isolate the cylinder head and block from the rest of the cooling system and pressurize it. At 15 psi it loses pressure very slowly (probably took 15 minutes to drop from 15 to nothing), and there isn't evidence from what I can tell of water getting into the cylinders (rule out head gasket?). What else would cause this overheat? I have noticed when i drain out what water is in the engine, it's grayish in color, with a very slight oil sheen, and there is some sediment or something that settles to the bottom of a jar that I used to collect the water. when shook around, the sediment acts like sand in water....kicks up, then settles back down. Where do I go from here? Thanks.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Perplexing overheat condition.

Are you sure the engine is actually overheating and not just a gauge/sender problem?<br />Get one of those laser temp guns and actually test the engine at different locations. Or touch the engine and see if it's actually hot.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Don S:<br /> Get one of those laser temp guns and actually test the engine at different locations. Or touch the engine and see if it's actually hot.
Ditto, ditto, extra ditto. Everyone should have one. Saved me a great deal of angst. As well, the human hand is not a tool to be overlooked.

WardenJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have not qualified the gauge for lack of a known good one, however the engine does indeed heat up when I touch it.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Is the water going out the back of the boat? <br />No matter how much water you pump into the engine, if it doesn't go all the way trough and out the exhaust it overheats.<br />Is the exhaust elbow plugged up?

WardenJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I bought a new gauge today and ran the engine. The new gauge is mechanical instead of the electric one that was on there. New sending unit and everything. <br /><br />After no more than 5 minutes of running, the water temp had surpassed 180 (it's a 135 degree thermostat) and I shut it down. The cylinder head was too hot for me to leave my hand on it for more than a couple seconds, however on the block itself, although it was warm, I could leave my hand for a while. <br /><br />I was getting water out of the exhaust as the engine was running.

Shawdaddy

Seaman Apprentice

Clogged water jackets on the head maybe????

WardenJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I was beginning to think clogged water jackets, especially with the sediment type stuff in the water. How can I confirm this?