perko 8503 question

DerekBogie

Seaman Apprentice
I pulled out a perko 8503 battery disconnect switch from my donor boat. My new boat does not have this set up in it. I am wondering what the purpose of it is and if it can benefit my boat? its a small beretta ski fishing boat with a 4 cylinder mercruiser i/o. I attempted to research online but all it said was "warning: stop engines before switching off."

464afb7893d9d672.jpg

phwrd

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: perko 8503 question

Those switches are designed to isolate between 2 batteries.

I have the same setup. 1 is my cranking battery, 2 is my deep cycle battery for everything else.

I switch to 1 to start the motor, both to charge while running and then 2 when floating around fishing. This is so I don?t drain my starting battery to run my radio, fishfinder, live well and all that other stuff. . .

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander
Re: perko 8503 question

Those switches are designed to isolate between 2 batteries.

I have the same setup. 1 is my cranking battery, 2 is my deep cycle battery for everything else.

I switch to 1 to start the motor, both to charge while running and then 2 when floating around fishing. This is so I don?t drain my starting battery to run my radio, fishfinder, live well and all that other stuff. . .

And this is basically the correct way to do it. Also, should, for some reason your starting battery runs down, you can switch to "ALL", which will combine both batts to start your motor...