Pergola. Help.

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
Hello all. I want to build a pergola on my porch. The house is brick veneer. See pictures. I can set four posts however one will be on a flagstone patio right next to the Brick wall of the house. I wanted advice on how to attach that 6”x6” post to the house. Should I screw or directly onto the brick? What about the flagstone base? Thanks.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Most pergolas are a stand alone kind of thing unless you are using the house to hold the weight of one side .
There are clips out there where you could attach the post to the house that is just a C shaped that you could conceal with some sort of trim boards . I think I would just opt to tying to the house though the white trim boards . No weight on it just to keep it from moving around . Your gunna need to set the post on a concrete footer with either imbedded anchors or expansion type anchor clips . Others may go a different route ...
Better yet , I wouldn’t tie it to the house at all .. Move the post out away from the house and keep the joist boards away from the house few inches .. Your going to need angled lateral bracing at the corners to keep the structure from moving around ..

Last edited: