Performance of the PTX

I've seen the videos and know all about the Premier PTX. The one question I have has to do with water sports and the PTX. The specific pontoon in question is the 220 Sunsation (with PTX option) and the 150 Four Stroke (maybe Verado, but wondering about all of the set up options).

Has anyone Slalom skied behind this set up or know how it would perform? I know in the video the kid is doing it but I also know how McDonald's makes their Big Mac's look on TV and that isn't really what you get when you make the trip for that burger!!

Thanks!!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Performance of the PTX

I will move this to the pontoon section ;)

Slalom skiing behind a pontoon is easy since a slalom ski course is basically a straight run. The 150 will probably be more than adequate however just like any boat.......it will depend on the load the boat is going to have ob-board. Those (any pontoon)have a great capacity for people and are fun. My wife admires them while I admire a V-hull that turns and handles faster.

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I would go with Yamaha instead of Merc. I have the Merc and am not satisfied with it.

The Rooster

Ensign

I would go with Yamaha instead of Merc. I have the Merc and am not satisfied with it.

That's because you don't have an OPTIMAX !!! :D

Adam you should be fine, but realize that w/ 6-10 people, gear, and ice chests aboard, you will be working that 150 a good bit. Good luck !!!

jafo9

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I can't speak to the 220 Sunsation, but I can speak to the PTX and riding a slalom ski behind it. I have a 225 honda hanging off the back of my 250 Grand Majestic PTX. When it was our only boat, we did wake boarding, double skiing and tubing behind it with pretty good success. Then we got an inboard ski boat and obviously stopped using the Premier for water sports. Last summer my motor in the ski boat died and we went back to the Premier for our water sports. My wife and I had gotten into riding a single ski and continued to do so behind the pontoon. I'm around 220lbs and the honda 225 did ok pulling me up on a deep water start. Even for my wife ~130lbs, I would end up at WOT getting her out of the water. My point is that if you are serious about using your pontoon as a tow boat, I'd hang the biggest motor I could afford off the back. Also make sure you get the tow bar. Our first pontoon didn't have one and clipping to the lifting rings on the back of the logs was a real pain.