Penta starter/solenoid question

CampionGuy

Seaman
Good Day iboaters,

Something is amiss in my 94 penta 4.3lGL. Starter wasn't engaging flywheel when power applied so I removed and disassembled it, it was a mess with the bendix frozen on the shaft. Cleaned everything, polished the shaft and reassembled. The ring gear slides freely on the drive shaft and returns to retracted position freely.
Here's my dilemma. The solenoid has a push rod on the end which sits idly in the retracted position. When the solenoid is intalled the rod hooks under the mechanism which actuates the ring gear on the shaft. In the idle position the bendix is fully extended to the position for engagement. Is the solenoid configured so when power is applied to it the push rod extends and retracts the bendix? Does the push rod rest on the top side of the actuator? When I disassembled it the rod was hooked under the actuator so I assumed that was the way it goes.
I hope this is clear enough to merit response.

Thanx in advance,
Doug

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Penta starter/solenoid question

Ayuh,.........

Short Answer is You need a New Starter,........ Your's is Junk.........

CampionGuy

Seaman

Just thought I should mention that I just acquired this boat from my brother. It had been sitting 2 blocks from oceanfront for about 14months and was working when parked. I attribute the ring gear being frozen to condensation, salt air and non-use. Make any sense?

Doug

CampionGuy

Seaman

So, I found a schematic for a standard solenoid and it seems that the solenoid plunger goes on top of the drive actuator pivot. Am I reading this correctly?

Thanks

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

Congrats o findind a schematic, but as Bondo said, your starter is junk.
Break down and buy a new marine starter.

CampionGuy

Seaman

Ummmmmm.......I did, should be in tomorrow. It takes a couple days delivery on an Island where I live. SO...in the meantime I wanted to see if I can make this one work because, well, just because. Inquiring minds want to know or so the tabloids say. I just have an overwhelming desire to know what makes stuff work as I am sure a lot of iboaters can attest to. The solenoid action is the last part to figure out.
Sorry if I am a PITA. Now THAT my wife can attest to.
Thanx
Doug

95yj

Petty Officer 1st Class

In your first post, if I'm reading it correctly, something is hooked up backwards. With no power applied to the solenoid, the bendix is disengaged from the flywheel. When power is applied, THAT's when the gear is pushed out onto the flywheel.

CampionGuy

Seaman

There is no power to it, it's on the bench. That's what gets me confused, the plunger or push rod that actuates the drive pivot lever is retracted when not energized but when I removed the solenoid the plunger was hooked under the lever which leaves the bendix in the engaged position. There is currently about 1/2-3/4" of the plunger exposed and I can pull it out another 3/4" approximately. Is the problem in the solenoid? Should the plunger be extended when not powered?

CampionGuy

Seaman

Hold the phone!! Seems the plunger is attached to a steel cylinder which is the actual sliding part of the solenoid, it was stuck in the retracted position. Now, when energized it works as it should. Still putting a new one in though.
Thanks for your efforts iboaters.

Doug