penn 60 drag question

jasoncan

Cadet
took my reel apart to inspect lube and oil. I put it back together but now something seeks off. I didnt replace the drag washers as they seemed ok. Ran it dry and everything worked good (drag, retreive etc.). Oiled and greased put it back together but know when i crank the handle to retreive I have to set the drag almost all the way for it to pull in line with very little resistance on the line. But the drag is cranked up all the way. Any ideas of whats wrong?<br /><br />Keep 'em tight

ob

Admiral
Re: penn 60 drag question

Sounds like you need more drag washers.Can you crank it down and get it to hold a decent pull or does the adjuster bottom out first?

jasoncan

Cadet

the adjuster bottoms out before i can get any real cranking happening (just slips). The drag is set way too tight when i do this.

ob

Admiral

Something is either amiss on the reassembly or the previously dry drag washers are worn flatter than original and either need replacing or additional ones after cleaning and oiling.

KRS

Banned

Some washers are shaped, installing backwards could cause this.<br />.<br />I am not an expert, just offering an idea.