Penn 50TW drag

KSorber

Cadet
:confused: Although I have put the boat away for the winter I have not yet broken down all of my reels and serviced them. I think I’ll wait until some snowy Saturday when I need to be reminded of better days to come. My question is: I bought 4 Penn 50TW International reels this summer and immediately upgraded the drag washers with the ones that Penn put in the box. This upgraded was to be able to get the drag tight enough for 80# line. This drag works fine, but when the lever is kicked all the way back to free spool I can hardly get the line off the reel. In fact, on one cold morning I had to put on my gloves to keep the line from cutting into my hand. All 4 reels work exactly the same, so I either installed all of the drags incorrectly or this is a horrible side effect of upgrading the drag washers. Since I am getting ready to service the reels anyway this would be the time to fix whatever I did wrong, or go buy some 50# drag washers (I probably did not keep the originals) and just deal with only using 50# line. Can anyone tell me what I did wrong???