Pending Nebraska State Record Wiper

walleyehed

Admiral
IM001291.jpg
<br />21lbs. 13ozs...<br />Hope the pic comes through.<br />Waiting for verification this am...Have official weight within 30 minutes of catch, now we'll see if the Warden says it's a catfish or somthing.. :)

NathanY

Commander
Re: Pending Nebraska State Record Wiper

Is that you Kenny? Nice fish. What did you catch it on? I told you that 300hp Johnny would troll fast, you probably snagged it.

mrbscott19

Chief Petty Officer

Nice catch! Look at how red that belly is. She's been makin' her bed, getting ready for spawn! Beautiful catch.

walleyehed

Admiral

Yea, Nate...that's fat 240lb., little'ole me.<br />I had some guys in another boat follow me around for about 40 minutes waiting to see what I had on...worked out good cause they had told me earlier the biggest wiper they had ever seen was 14 some-odd pounds. I told them there were bigger than 14lb fish here, but most get off before being boated.<br />6lb. Fireline pulled through for me on this one, so if the sample breaks before 8lbs., I get a line-class record too!!! The previous record of 20lbs. 1oz was caught on 8lb. mono that somehow passed for 8lb. or less test strength, so I should be in good shape.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Congratulations Kenny!! <br /><br />How long until the state biologists get back to ya?<br /><br />.. are you getting a skin mount or reproduction?

fireman57

Captain

Sweet, Sweet, Sweet! I noticed that you still haven't said where, how, or what you caught her on. Good job.

walleyehed

Admiral

Waiting for a phone call before noon...<br />1/8oz jig head (Orange) with 3" twister-tail in white.<br />caught 37 wipers Sat night, this one included with 3 others in the 10-12lb range.<br />Kept this one and a 16" specimen for table fare.<br /><br />EDIT: This one WILL go on the wall...

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

How cool is that? To have caught a state record fish, not somthing every angler can claim.<br /><br />Ps there aint no sponsers for jig heads...Better come up with a better story than that :D

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Heck Kenny.. with your Fireline claim .. 'Pure Fishing' will be sending out a few items to ya if and when it comes together.. I'd make that one 'known' for sure ;) <br />..<br /><br />Berkley <br />Stren<br />Fenwick<br />Abu Garcia<br />Mitchell<br />Johnson<br />Spider <br />and others mixed in .. you're set for a while bud :cool: <br /><br />now you'll be too good for us lowly folk and get some snazy bait design contract and a fishing show opposite the 'Linder Boys' .. <br /><br />geesh .. it was good talkin' with ya Kenny :p :D

fireman57

Captain

Hey Kenny when you get all this new stuff just send your old stuff to me. Better reinforce the wall that baby hangs on.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

You da man! 40 minutes? Lucky she didn't spool you.<br /><br />Curious, what's her length?

walleyehed

Admiral

If I would've been on the bank, I'd a never got'er...followed her around for quite some time with the trolling motor or she would've taken all my line...<br />32-7/8" length, and 37-5/8" Girth.

fireman57

Captain

Any word yet Kenny? It's killin' me waiting. Can't imagine what it's doing to you. Even if it turns out not to be a record it will stil be remembered fight as John Wayne put it.

walleyehed

Admiral

Well, I guess good and bad...<br />They will not except my weight as Official because a NE. Game and Parks employee (Biologist) was not present for the weighing even though it was weighed and witnessed by my local Game warden and 2 others at the post office.<br />When they called me from Lincoln, NE., they said I would need to run it back to the rock creek hatchery (Back to Nebraska-130 miles) to have another weighing of the fish with a biologist present...I had already put the fish in the freezer which of course drys them out some, and 3-1/2 days after I caught this fish, someone was actually able to tell me who I had to talk to and where to go for a state record verification.<br />It was 2-1/2ozs under the record when we weighed it.....it had lost basically 2 full pounds in 3 days on Ice, and throwing it in the freezer didn't help when I was sure I had an official weight.<br />They are going to accept my postal scale weight as far as a line-class record, but will not accept it as a State Record because their laws say a fisheries employee MUST be present at the weighing.<br />I'm told it will be listed as the "Un-official" state record, but I will get the line-class record.<br />I guess it wasn't meant to be..??...???<br />I can't believe some of the phone calls I have received though...I've had 3 tackle shops offer to mount the fish for free IF I would let them display it in their shop for a period of time.<br />I know the gent that currently holds the record and a buddy had told him of the fish I had caught...he called me and congradulated me....he knew it would be broke sooner or later, as he is a guide and has seen many real close, but not quite big enough to take his by one of his clients. I called him back and informed him he still holds the cup. He agreed it was bogus the trouble I went through trying to find the wardens to verify this deal, as the wardens were working turkey hunters and couldn't be located within a reasonable distance...<br />All I can say now is the fish is mine and it's going on the wall...I'm happy I was able to boat this fish and consider it a gift to have won the fight... :)

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

That sucks!!!<br /><br />But at least you and I will always know what the nebraska record is.<br /><br />Not that I even ever hope of catching a record fish but it does make me wonder how the rules read here in MN.

walleyehed

Admiral

Yea, I just messed up in NOT reading the regs enough to know what I needed to do to verify it properly. State Record rules for consideration isn't the section I frequent, but as you say, now I know.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Now that's gonna look funny in the record books, an 8lb line class record greater than the state record!<br /><br />What about lake record?

walleyehed

Admiral

Dat's what I thought too....<br />They say there is no "Real" records of fish from any given lake.<br />It's at the Taxidermist now...he couldn't believe the crap either. <br />He's mounting it free of charge just because of the size and exposure it will get.<br />I'm going to let a friend keep it on his wall in his bait shop at the lake where I caught it....Might as well share. That's part of the reason for no charge too, Rex knows it will draw some attention to his work.

NathanY

Commander

I just thought that I would pull this post up out of nostalgia. I remember when Kenny called me and told me about this after he caught it. Hey Walleyehed where is this fish now? Is it still hanging in the bait shop?