Peanut story for Link!!

spratt

Lieutenant
Well, many will recall the Post about needing a recipe for BOILED P-NUTS, and I got lots!!! Link was so kind as to provide me with a 5# package of raw p-nuts for my first go round at this venture, so I wanna make a public THANK YOU!!! He actually bought them, mailed them to me, and sent a Christmas card from his family, and told me to not send him the money for the nuts, but to make a donation to my favorite charity!!! And so I did. Link, I donated the money (and actually much more) to the Missionary Fund at our church.<br /><br />On to the results of my story. I had expected to post a story that was hilarious and embarrassing at the same time, but the hilarious part never happened. Just my luck!!!<br /><br />After getting all the wonderful resipes and advice from our faithful iboater friends, I set about to gather a pot big enough to cook 5-lbs of the furry tailed rat food (as Link fiondly calls them). Upon talking to a guy I consider to be one of my very best friends, and who is a true/moderate Southerner himself (moderate because he is from Milton, Florida!) (I call them moderate because they ain't got no accent nor true southern gentleman ways about them). He told me that he had last made some in a pressure cooker. Cuts down the cooking time by at least 1/2!! So I says, OK, give it to me. <br /><br />I believe that prolonged cooking is the key to making food take ont eh taste of the seasoning, and so, I don't know if I recommend the pressure cooker method. I don't believe it gives teh nuts time to take ont eh salt or other seasoning properly, though I won't argue the nuts turned out to be very tasty anyway. <br /><br />Here is the method I used:<br /><br />-Soak the raw peanuts for 24 - 72 hours in water to soften the shells<br /><br />-Put the nuts in teh pressure cooker, leaving enough space to allow water about one inch above the nuts (remember they will be floating in teh water, and the amount of water needed can fool ya)<br /><br />-Remember to not overfill the pressure cooker, as they need some space for steam expansion and pressure build up<br /><br />-I could only put half of the nuts in teh cooker I used, and it was about a 6 quart cooker, so I put 2.5 lbs in, added LOTS of salt, didn't measure, just pured right of the box (wish I had used crab boil now!!)<br /><br />-Once the pressure cooker reaches max pressure, turn it down to where it just rocks the valve cover, and time it about one hour (I would now say time it for about 1 1/2 hours, since mine didn't get done enough in one hour and I had to recook them a while)<br /><br />Open, drain, and eat once they cool a little bit. Not responsible for blistered mouths if you eat them right out of the pot!!!<br /><br />My second pot, I used some really good cajun seasoning mix I use for Gumbo, along with some salt (remembering how the salt did not flavor the first batch as well as hoped for). I wanted some that were spicy!!!<br /><br />Same process, but different seasoning, and cooked for 1 1/2 hours. Turned out great, but still did not absorb the seasoning well. Or as well as I had hoped! I really think that boiling them for several hours in the pot with the easonings added is the way to go, and I am going to prove/disprove that theory pretty soon.<br /><br />OK, now even though they didn't turn out as well as I had expected or hoped, once I staretd eating them, I could NOT quit!!! Guys, these things are addicting, and I might could market them as a STOP SMOKING gimmick, and I say gimmick because one would have to eat them all the time without leaving time for smokes...they were very good, even delicious, but I like salt more than I should so perhaps that is why I say they didn't take on the seasoning properly. And I would abide by that, except others told me they could have used more seasoning also.<br /><br />Alright, folks, I know all y'all have been waiting for something to do on yer long winter days, so here it is. Try this tried and true Southern delicacy. You will make ol' Jimmy Carter proud to be buying up his peanuts, making him rich.<br /><br />If ya actually just bol them in an open pot, like was said in other posts, boil them till they are soft but still firm (the nuts, not the shells). And let us know what ya think!!!

Stratosfied

Ensign
Re: Peanut story for Link!!

I will tell you the secret for the seasonings, just don't tell anyone. You gotta let the 'Penders' soak in the brine/spice solution to really get the flavor in. It's kinda like microwave grits, well they might work and kinda taste like grits, but they just ain't salty enough. ;) Take this from a true southerner, as I have ruint just about 200# of p-nuts before I got them right. Now they are just like frosted flakes, the are grreeaattt! Well, we like em anyways! :)

Link

Rear Admiral

Ahgee FlatBottoms ur makin me blush with all them flowery lies u were tellin bout me! :eek: <br /> <br />Well I tried boiling a pound myself.<br />I followed one of the recipes someone left in your post(website) but doubled the salt and boiled for two hours instead of 1 hour.<br />Not very salty at all but I'm not giving up on the idea.<br />I think Stratosfied in on to something here. <br /><br />FB I got the texture correct as in firm & chewy and not mushy. Needs more SALT & other seasonings.<br /><br />Question 1: Can you roast them afterwards ??<br /><br />Since you didnt have the embarrassing thing FB I'll add that 400 degrees isnt the correct temp to roast them afterwards! Shells dried out and burnt! Leaving wet soggy peanuts inside :D :D <br /><br />Question 2: Anyone ever tried to make peanut butter with them??

spratt

Lieutenant

OK, Link...Embarrassing point finally comes out...didn't think to mention it, but here it is...<br /><br />Can you roast them afterwards? Great minds must think alike, for I had about 1-lb left over also, and thought I would just try to see how they tasted roasted...400* definitely is not the correct temp to roast them!!! Does this sound like an echo??? The shells dried out an dburned big time...however~~~~they tasted very good, so I ate them all one after another!!!!<br /><br />I refuse to try to make p-nut butter.<br /><br />Strat, it sounds like you do have the answer, and I will DEFINITELY try that on my next batch. I am going to have Link get nme about 10 lbs and do this thang again!!! And they is gonna be boiled not pressure cooked!! I have a huge canning tub, and will use that...if it is successful, I may find a big wash tub and do a p-nut boil for a church picnic or event...I may even drive over a couple lbs to Tacoma, Link and give them to ya!!! Sorta a appreciation thang!!! Meet the little wife and all that, along with them aliens at your place!!!

Link

Rear Admiral

aliens ?? Oh the Greens.. they be Spinners Buds! Ive never met them myself. Beware of the Greys though! Thats what I've heard anyway! ;)

NYMINUTE

Captain

hae48.gif
<br /> There is no such thing as ALIENS!!! Is there?

spratt

Lieutenant

Well, NY, the government say they is, and they is coming from outer borders:) Mexico, they say!!!

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by FlatBottoms:<br /> Well, NY, the government say they is, and they is coming from outer borders:) Mexico, they say!!!
269.gif
<br />Must be running from all the jobs we send there. MADE IN MEXICO by Aliens.