PDI on 2011 MD75 TLDI outboard?

cs90453

Seaman Apprentice
I have a chance to get a great deal on this engine. Catch is the dealer is saying that I have to get them to PDI the engine on the boat to set it up or the warranty may be null and void. Problem is that the nearest TLDI is out of province so I have to fly in a mechanic to do this which may end up costing as much as or more than getting another brand. The engine seems to be the perfect fit for my boat so I really want the engine so I've sent an email to the company asking them if there is a way I can have the engine PDI'ed before shipping so I can hook it up and go. May have to do some things again to verify but I don't mind doing that. They said that the older models were easy to do but the newer ones are more sensitive. Is this a load they telling me or is this true? Any suggestions on how I could still get the engine with the warranty without having to fly in a mechanic? Any input is appreciated thanks.

pvanv

Admiral
Re: PDI on 2011 MD75 TLDI outboard?

Normally, Tohatsu America requires that a dealer install any Remote or TLDI motor on the boat, and perform the PDI. This is intended to assure proper installation. There are a number of items that must be checked at installation... even what battery is being used... that may seem unimportant, but can have a big impact on motor performance and consumer satisfaction.

Dealers are not supposed to "blind ship" or "drop ship" these motors to consumers. Where are you located that you have a dealer nearby, yet no mechanic nearby? What is your postal code?

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

A dealer cannot, under any circumstances, let a non dealer ever have possession of a TLDI in a box. It either has to be installed at the selling dealer or be sent directly to another TLDI dealer who will also not let you have it in a box. It has to be installed by a Tohatsu dealer. I think it's dumb, but Tohatsu would rather loose a sale than have a moron incorrectly install an engine and blow it up. It's not rocket science, but people do the dumbest things:)

cs90453

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys. I sent a message to Tohatsu to ask them what options are available for a situation like this. I also understand how it has to be setup with the remote controls and all but couldn't they do that in the shop? I am ordering the cables and all that so I thought they could calibrate it up there and put it back in the box and ship it? Then all it would be is bolt it on. I guess if push comes to shove I'll fly someone down to do it but what happens if I paint my boat and I unbolt the controls? Do I have to fly someone in again to set it up? lol

pvanv

Admiral

Adjusting the throttle and shift cables is only part of the procedure, and the least critical. Yes... of course you can take the RC box on and off the boat without Tohatsu America requiring a TLDI technician to reinstall it :)

As I mentioned, there are a couple of things, maybe seemingly innocuous, that must be correct. The battery is the most important of those. It must be at least 1000 cca. Another one is that the initial setting of the throttle position sensor must be dialed-in with your battery connected.

Then there are the things that should be done for any RC OB installation: control cable adjustment, steering cable installation, adjusting jack height, selecting the best prop, etc.

Would the motor work if the installation checklist weren't done? Probably. Would it perform the best it could? Maybe not. As Elvin mentioned, it's entirely possible for some moron to install the motor, and blow it up. That's why Tohatsu wants a TLDI mechanic to do the initial installation.

Where are you located?

cs90453

Seaman Apprentice

Located in Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada. The closest TLDI authorized dealer in located in Nova Scotia. They didn't mention that I would require a battery like that but I will certainly inquire as to what I need prior to setting it up. I appreciate how they do want to make sure that the engine is setup properly and I will certainly make sure that it is. I may have to accept the fact that it's simply too much trouble with getting this engine and get something else in another brand. Maybe I can look at getting one in the future if someone opens a location in my area.