PDF-manual on Merc 90 Sportjet ?

HenkaQP8

Cadet
Hello, anyone who knows how to get a servicemanual on Merc 90 Sportjet ?
I want to learn how to change oil in the upper unit of the gearbox and also how replace the impeller and wearing. What kind of choke does it have ? mine has to be out of order because i always need to start it with aerosol startgas when its cold, starts perfect when its warm and runs well at 35 mph top. I have a Searayder 14 jetboat 1993. Best regards//Henka from Sweden.

Crater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: PDF-manual on Merc 90 Sportjet ?

Clymer man. is about $40.00us BUT it's pretty much just a guide. I have a 94sj90 and changing the wear ring and impeller is pretty straight forward. There are (2) different impellers though, early mod. and late mod. 93' probally has early threaded shaft aposed to the late mod. splined shaft. (1) take off the nozzel (unhook the steering and reverse gate (2)remove the stator, if you haven't allready, remove the reverse gate cable from the stator *Tip1: there are metal tabs bent up on the bolts to prevent them from backing out *Tip2: loosen the stator fill screw before removing the stator to avoid damage to the shaft seal, as soon as you get the stator off the shaft, tip it up as not to spill the gear lube all over. At this point the wear ring may have came off with the stator or maybe not, if it did just tap the wear ring with a rubber mallet adn maybe a screwdriver to seperate the two.(3) unless you have the special tool (offset wrench sort off)to remove the impeller you'll need to remove the rock grate and ride plate so you can get a open end wrench on the impeller nut and another wrench on the flats of the shaft.*Tip3: the impeller is reverse threaded "righty loosey in this case". Reassemble in backward order: remember to loosen the stator fill plug when putting back together (makes life easier) then refill stator with Mercury high performance gear lube($$) Tip4:fill it with a pump oil can as the fill hole is small and prone to "air locking" making a mess all over your shop floor.
Changing the gearcase oil is a little more frustrating at first sight, But with a little Tip you can change it pretty easily. First locate the drain plug and vent plug. Have your drip pan ready. Remove the drain plug first and drain out the gear lube. 2nd remove the vent plug and drain any fluid that might be in there. TIP have a big enough drain pan to catch both. To replace fluid I got a piece of rubber tubbing that would just fit into the drain plug hole and stay there and inserted my pump oil can into the other end. Start pumping until new Mercury high performance gear lube comes ou the vent tube. Stop pumping and reinstall vent plug. Quickly (have drain plug in hand) remove the rubber tube from the drain hole and insert the plug. Some lube may escape but thats ok. the vacume from having the vent plug in stops most of the lube from coming back out.
Hope this helps

Crater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Clymer man. is about $40.00us BUT it's pretty much just a guide. I have a 94sj90 and changing the wear ring and impeller is pretty straight forward. There are (2) different impellers though, early mod. and late mod. 93' probally has early threaded shaft aposed to the late mod. splined shaft. (1) take off the nozzel (unhook the steering and reverse gate (2)remove the stator, if you haven't allready, remove the reverse gate cable from the stator *Tip1: there are metal tabs bent up on the bolts to prevent them from backing out *Tip2: loosen the stator fill screw before removing the stator to avoid damage to the shaft seal, as soon as you get the stator off the shaft, tip it up as not to spill the gear lube all over. At this point the wear ring may have came off with the stator or maybe not, if it did just tap the wear ring with a rubber mallet adn maybe a screwdriver to seperate the two.(3) unless you have the special tool (offset wrench sort off)to remove the impeller you'll need to remove the rock grate and ride plate so you can get a open end wrench on the impeller nut and another wrench on the flats of the shaft.*Tip3: the impeller is reverse threaded "righty loosey in this case". Reassemble in backward order: remember to loosen the stator fill plug when putting back together (makes life easier) then refill stator with Mercury high performance gear lube($$) Tip4:fill it with a pump oil can as the fill hole is small and prone to "air locking" making a mess all over your shop floor.
Changing the gearcase oil is a little more frustrating at first sight, But with a little Tip you can change it pretty easily. First locate the drain plug and vent plug. Have your drip pan ready. Remove the drain plug first and drain out the gear lube. 2nd remove the vent plug and drain any fluid that might be in there. TIP have a big enough drain pan to catch both. To replace fluid I got a piece of rubber tubbing that would just fit into the drain plug hole and stay there and inserted my pump oil can into the other end. Start pumping until new Mercury high performance gear lube comes ou the vent tube. Stop pumping and reinstall vent plug. Quickly (have drain plug in hand) remove the rubber tube from the drain hole and insert the plug. Some lube may escape but thats ok. the vacume from having the vent plug in stops most of the lube from coming back out.
Hope this helps

oh yea, there is a rubber O-ring for the wear ring to main grear case housing were the water is forced into the motor. make sure it is in good shape and not lost before reassembly.

Crater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The choke, if it has one, is an enricher. When I push my key in if activates the enricher (it makes a click). That my choke. If yours clicks then either the enricher is bad OR the fuel pump is going out. I've read that this is a common problem because the fuel tank is lower than the motor, and there is no bulb to keep fuel pressure up. So the fuel pumps diaphram has to be sealed off completly to stop fuel from ciphoning back into tank. I've not had to work on that yet so sorry I can't be of more assistance. You may try hooking up a gallon tank with bulb to see if it still does it as a first troubleshooting step. And rebuilding the fuel pump is straight forward also, way more than getting into the enricher or carbs.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Obviously it's your decision as to how much you want to spend. I just paid 149.00 for the Service manual, Parts Manual and Owners Manual for an engine. I buy my manuals directly from Mercury and they have all the service bulletins right up to the time of purchase. These manuals tell you exactly how to fix and maintain your specific engine and don't combine a bunch of related years and models into one condensed manual like a Clymers or Seloc. I wasted a lot of time and money misinterpreting those types of manuals because they we too generic for my specific engine.

I learned my lesson.

Crater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Agreed partly. the Clymer man. for the SJ is SJ specific but it does cover different years and designs. but usually my luck is; it doesn't cover what I want to know. Thats were a Factory Man. comes in handy.As I said before Clymer is more of a guide for the handy DIY'er

HenkaQP8

Cadet

Many thanks for instructive tips, with your tips i feel much more safe to start this job, (iam not a mech, just a happy amateur). //Henka

levasseurjohn

Recruit

1993 SportJet 90... I am replacing the impeller. There is two tubes going from the main case to the nozzle outlet and appear to be pressed in. The go in under the steering bracket on the nozzle. I have a manual but they are not shown. How do I disconnect them, one and what are they for? I can not remove the nozzle all the way as these two tubes are attached. The are about 3/8 inch in diameter.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Agreed partly. the Clymer man. for the SJ is SJ specific but it does cover different years and designs. but usually my luck is; it doesn't cover what I want to know. Thats were a Factory Man. comes in handy.As I said before Clymer is more of a guide for the handy DIY'er
Your cracking me up... because I completely agree.

Crater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hmm, Clymer man. doesn't show anything like what your describing. Maybe its "type of boat" specfic?
I've read extensivly about SJ's and have never came across this.