Pat Tillman friendly fire story

PW2

Commander
Re: Pat Tillman friendly fire story

I'm a little curious. Why is a friendly fire incident more negative than enemy fire?<br />Friendly fire incidents happen all the time, and he is no more nor less dead.<br /><br />Unless, I suppose, you want to create some heroic tale of some sort to romanticize war like they did Jessica Lynch.<br /><br />Personally, I want the truth as soon as they know what the truth is, and I don't want the military or the government managing or manipulating the news for any political purposes, whatever they may be.

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander

I personally am bothered by the GLORIFICATION of afew isolated incidents while the DEATHS of our soldiers DAILY barely gets a few words mention.If Tillman had not been a Pro Football player then this story probably would have gotten the same few words.<br />Now I'm sure I will hear from someone about the cost of war being unavoidable so "LIVE WITH IT"but I am finding it difficult to deal with ANY AND ALL deaths,abuses,wrongful treatment and on and on and on in today's world. <br />The families of ALL who have died on BOTH SIDES have my sincerest condolences as ALL who are in harm's way on BOTH SIDES have my prayers for their safety.<br /><br />THE END CAN'T COME SOON ENOUGH FOR ME!!!!!!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

War gets people killed; some on purpose, some accidentally.<br /><br />This war has killed far fewer. . . Americans, Allies and enemy, than in any REAL 1 year+ war in our history.<br /><br />That doesn't alter the horror of even one death. Pat Tillman is no more or less heroic, and his death no more horrible than those of hundreds of others.<br /><br />What is different? Pat Tillman was a celebrity. Our media and culture worship celebrities.<br /><br />Let his story represent them all, just as the Unknown Soldiers in Arlington Cemetary represent thousands of other unknowns.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

The media is reporting "speculation" before it even becomes fact. They speculated that there wasnt even any enemies in the area, that two coloation groups fired on each other.<br /><br />The used the Pat Tillman angle to get headlines to promote their agenda. So far, their agenda has been to show how wrong war is, and how poorly managed this one has been. (Their opinon, not mine).<br /><br />I agree that Pat Tillman is no different from all the other deaths, and that friendly fire is part of war. This should have been a non-story.<br /><br />Ken

11 footer

Lieutenant

I'm sick of hearing about him, the news beat the story to death so much I'm almost happy he's dead (not really, you know what I mean)<br /><br />You'd think he was the only guy who ever got killed, what about all the other guys who are over their getting killed every day?

WoodRust

Seaman

As a Canadian.. <br /><br />Pat Tillman was a great American who gave his life in defense of Americia and he should be remembered for that. And that alone!!!! As every other American who did & died.

I have to agree with the general concensus. The Tillman story would have never came to light if not for the fact that he was a celebrity. I salute all the soldiers that are over there trying to promote freedom. I also would like to hog tie all the liberals who are denigrating the efforts of the soldiers there now, but I guess that is one thing the soldiers are fighting for. The freedom of free speech. I grieve for all the deaths. To paraphrase Hemingway, "each man's death diminishes me, no man is an island"

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by Ryan T.:<br />You'd think he was the only guy who ever got killed, what about all the other guys who are over their getting killed every day?
Yea Ryan, I have said that before, him and Jessica Lynch are no different than any other soldier over there, the only difference is he made the ultimate sacrifice, however he died.

tylerin

Commander

Don't blame Tillman, he didn't do anything but Die for his country. Blame the media not him. I admire him

gaugeguy

Captain

Facing incoming friendly fire (I hate that term) is still being under fire. It doesn't make heroic actions any less heroic, just more tragic.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

one thing that differentiates him to me is the <br />fact he turned down a $6 million dollar contract<br />to serve our country.

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

I have to agree mellow.<br /><br /> I think that all should be mentioned as equally, but he turned down $6 mil to fight strikes me as a little different.<br /><br />I do how ever get tired of the media using this as a tool to program others. It's like they are saying, see what he could have been if it wasn't for this war? That's life, and these people are going to have to grow up and realize it. It sucks that good people get killed, but that's life right now. They also have to realize that this war is there because there are those in the middle east who want us dead. They want us dead so badly, that they hijacked planes and used them as bombs.<br /><br />The media makes me sick, and embarrased that we have good people dieing for thier worthless tail ends. I think they should be ashamed and walk with thier heads down in public. I can't see how they can look others in the eye when in public.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Well I know I will get bombarded for this, but IMO, I don't think the media should have been there in the first place, in the capacity that they were anyhow.<br /><br />I think they made it worse.