Passed MCAS

11 footer

Lieutenant
Those who live in Massachusetts will understand more then others, but MCAS is a state wide testing program that every high school student must pass to graduate, you can get kick a$$ grades in school, and fail the MCAS and you aren't gonna graduate.<br /><br />The state tests on two subjects, Math and english. Since this new requirement a lot of people have a real hard time passing the test, and their is a lot of talk on TV and papers about it being unfair.<br /><br />Everyone takes the test in the 10th grade, if you don't pass the first time you get three more changes, all the way up to the end of senior year.<br /><br />Well, I took both tests last year and got the results today, I passed both!! :) All done with them on the first try. I got "advanced" in english and., well lets just say I passed math :p <br /><br />It made my day! :cool:

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Re: Passed MCAS

Cool Ryan. You high school years are nearing an end, get ready for real life.<br /><br />I remember my graduating class here in Texas was the first required to pass a standardized test. No pass, no graduate.<br /><br />Ken

11 footer

Lieutenant

Real life?<br /><br />I want highschool to last forever ;) <br /><br />I have a lot of fun at school, between all the fun I have in shop, and all the girls in classes, why would I ever want to leave? :p :p

dakk1

Chief Petty Officer

Smart young feller. Hang in there while you can son. My daughter is in her senior year of college and she loves it. She's gonna hate to graduate.<br /><br />Dave..

youngboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

We have a very similar test in Arizona. It's called AIM'S (don't know or care what it stands for). We're tested in Math, Reading, and Writing. It was also just implemented a year or two ago. I exceeded Writing and passed Math and Writing. It's also a very controversial test which is supposedly unfair. I thought it was dumb for making High School kids pass a test in order to graduate but now that I've passed I don't care :D

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Cool deal, Ryan.... :D <br /><br />Just thank your lucky stars that you did'nt have the flu on test day, or you might have had to sit thru a semester of remedial test prep junk, like I did..... :eek: :eek: <br /><br />Man.. I remember how I could'nt wait to get outta high school.... And I'm still glad I'm out!...<br /> :D It was like being paroled....

11 footer

Lieutenant

thought it was dumb for making High School kids pass a test in order to graduate but now that I've passed I don't care
LOL, I feel the same way. <br /><br />
Man.. I remember how I could'nt wait to get outta high school.... And I'm still glad I'm out!...
I might feel the same way if I had gone to a regular school, but I go to a tech school, one week of classes and other in shop (Auto Body)<br />If I didn't have any friends or something, school might suck, but it doesn't. I really do have a good time at school, I think most people I know do. <br />This is my schools website:<br /> http://www.shawsheen.tec.ma.us/New_Site/ <br /> :p

alden135

Lieutenant Commander

Yoor publik skool edjukation wil ensure mani yeers uf sukcess.

Dunaruna

Admiral

We have a similar system here, Ryan.<br /><br />Congratulations! That a milestone that can be filed under the heading of - DONE!! <br /><br />Aldo

Triton II

Commander

Some say the glass is half full... etc
Hey Aldo, in the military a person like you (goes around the bar at the end of a party picking up the dregs) is known as a "minesweeper"! :D :D

Ron G

Commander

congrats ryan,I whish they tec schools like that when i was in.

dtherrien

Petty Officer 1st Class

I also live in mass....moved here about 8 years ago for construction company.I am not in favour of the mcas testing...one reason being that not every child will have the ability to pass what is considered a college entrance type test.And second it cost the tax payers of the state a basiclly undisclosed amount of money....in the millions.If there are an overwhelming amount of children failing in school they should look at the teachers first and the policies of the school.<br />For me i am against most civil service...its bankrupting all of our towns and cities...they just keep raising our taxes and you get nothing for it.

agitator

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Children failing according to what the teachers put on report cards is the problem. They pass them all if they half way try. Report cards by teachers tell very little about what the student has learned or is able to do. Parents need to know and some kind of standardized performance test is needed to see how each stacks up. By identifying strengths and weaknesses students can be guided into areas where they can be most successful and strengthen weak areas. You can try to identify and pin down bad teachers all you want to but without knowing what students are able to do as a result of teacher performance or lack thereof you are just whistling in the wind.