Party Lines (phone kind)

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
Does anyone remember these and are they still being used? Growing up, I always remembered you had to listen first to see if it was busy. Really made for some good easdropping.(sp)

one more cast

Captain
Re: Party Lines (phone kind)

SS, My mom still has a party line. You would never know it because she is the only one still on it. I wanted to get her a cordless phone set for Christmas but I believe they won't work on party lines.

dolluper

Captain

We have a party line at the lake,it's great there's only one other person on it,since everyone else has switched.It has an old rotary phone that was rented 20 some years ago.I phoned the phone co about the rental charge on the phone as I was going to replace it and have private service.Found out I was well off,because if I switched,I would pay 30 some a month instead of 13 which includes rental ,taxes.Plus I would have to pay all year round instead of like now I can stop the service for months at no charge and restart it when I want for 5 bucks,because of some grandfather clause.Easy to figger so I still have it.But I have a modern cell I use also,so I'am not completly in the dark ages at the lake :D :D Plus you can't use the new phones on the party line you have to change the line service for a charge also

all thumbs

Chief Petty Officer

We had one,its neat to hear they are still out there. :)

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Funny story....20 years ago...<br />I went deer hunting and one of the people who was hunting with us was a "bookie" and used the party line to take his bets.<br /><br />Well.... the following morning he was the talk of the town in the local diner! Wow was he ever shocked to find out that it was a paty line. I often wonder if he is in the same business or in jail!

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

We had one when I was little. Yeah, you had to listen to the ring to know if it was for you or the neighbor. You had to listen before you dial. A habit I still have.<br /><br />AK Chappy

Homerr

Commander

WOW.. party lines... Been a long time since I had one of those!<br /><br /><br />H.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Wow, that brings back some memories. One of my earliest lessons in manners concerned a party-line. Mom always told me to immediately hang up if I picked up the receiver and heard conversation. She always scolded me if I tarried in doing it. She said it was impolite to eaves-drop on others.

Holdimhook

Chief Petty Officer

I still remember our "ring". One long,two short.

ZooMbr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Those were the times -- hard for the phone co to trace a call -- so if you called a store/tavern and asked if they had Prince Albert in a can; or, a home and ask if the fridge was running, etc. You could get away with it! Computers!

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

I think it's still used in remote areas. My family has a cabin up in northern Washington, and last I knew the surrounding homes still had party lines.