Parts For 1989 Cummins diesel V903 engines

KirstyBain

Cadet
Please let me know if there is a source for parts for the above. Engine numbers 37125863 and 37126544. We are in the UAE and are told you cannot get any parts for these engines by Cummins, even service parts. I am hoping this is not true and you can assist with a source for parts. TIA

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
many of the old V engines are gone, however there are places that specialize in them.

time to start googling.

may be time to replace them with the QSM11 marine or even the QSL

KirstyBain

Cadet
Thank you. I have googled and reached out to various suppliers, but so far no responses. I was hoping someone here may have a specific reliable supplier I can get in touch with. Thanks for the info. The other option is to repower, but currently the engines are running. They just need servicing.

alldodge

Staff member
Would need to know what parts your needing to search, and forum boatdiesel.com would have more folks then we have

Scott Danforth

Staff member
the V903 marine motor was long in the tooth in the early 80's being replaced with the N14 and other motors.

many of the old marine parts are hard to get.

there are aftermarket people to get heat exchanger cores like Sen-dure, etc. the housings may be an issue.

the marine manifolds may be difficult.

the marine turbo should be available

As AD mentioned. boatdiesel.com may be a better forum for guidance.

KirstyBain

Cadet
the V903 marine motor was long in the tooth in the early 80's being replaced with the N14 and other motors.

many of the old marine parts are hard to get.

there are aftermarket people to get heat exchanger cores like Sen-dure, etc. the housings may be an issue.

the marine manifolds may be difficult.

the marine turbo should be available

As AD mentioned. boatdiesel.com may be a better forum for guidance.
Thank you

chris.olson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Please let me know if there is a source for parts for the above. Engine numbers 37125863 and 37126544. We are in the UAE and are told you cannot get any parts for these engines by Cummins, even service parts. I am hoping this is not true and you can assist with a source for parts. TIA

I'm afraid it is true that Cummins no longer supports the V903 and VT903. However, the aftermarket fully supports them. They are still quite common in some agricultural tractors and off-road equipment like gensets, pump sets, chippers and hammer mills. There is an outfit called Agkits where I recently got pistons, liners, main and rod bearings, reman cylinder heads and PT top stop injectors for a VT903 on a log chipper. There is no difference between the marine engines and other off-road applications other than manifolds.

Most brick and mortar authorized Cummins Service Centers will support your 903 with the aftermarket, which is why Cummins deemed it no longer feasible to support the old V-8 in-house. You will need the engine serial number and CPL (Control Parts List) numbers off the engine data tag to order parts for it.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
CPL is Critical Parts list.

fuel pump, injectors, pistons, etc.

Marine motors are over-fueled and have a fair amount different than the other off-road applications. More than just the manifolds.

chris.olson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
CPL is Critical Parts list.

fuel pump, injectors, pistons, etc.

Marine motors are over-fueled and have a fair amount different than the other off-road applications. More than just the manifolds.

I re-CPL'd a QSK60 G-drive this afternoon for 2,700hp, it had to be recertified for Tier 2 emissions with the ECU and injector update. Cummins INSITE refers to the CPL as Control Parts List when you make a CPL change and get approval from Cummins. Critical Parts List is also used interchangeably.

On a 903, the fuel rate is controlled by the button in the PT pump. I can bump an old NTC350 to 475hp by putting a shutoff valve in the fuel return. It won't last long, on the NT-series you'll have stretched headbolts and be cutting liner counterbores and shimming liners because it'll stretch the block out of shape if you do it for very long. But all you have to do is increase the rail pressure on Type G or AFC PT pumps for fuel rate so when the injector follower comes off base circle and opens the metering port it forces more fuel thru the hole.

There is no difference in internal engine parts from a marine VT903 to one used in a truck or other off-road equipment. Only difference is the pump and governor settings running them up to 3,600 rpm in marine. The only reason they can run higher fuel rates and rpm on marine engines is because they have a better cooling system than air-to-water radiators in non-marine applications. And they figure the average marine engine only gets about 100 hrs a year on it, so if it lasts 2,000 hrs that's a lifetime for most yacht owners. But that won't make any difference in getting overhaul parts.

chris.olson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
For the OP, if you have a certified Cummins tech working on your engines, they won't use INSITE on a non-electronic 903. But they can refer to the Control Parts List cross reference for ordering parts for the seven different marine 903 engine configurations. Those CPL's cross reference with the identical configurations used in other off-road equipment for construction, industrial, generators and pump applications. You will not find a cross reference in automotive with off-road due to differences in emission calibrations for the pump, governor and AFC.

Attachments

• IMG_9666.jpg
    IMG_9666.jpg
    471.3 KB · Views: 1