Parts availability for OMC

93seaswirl

Cadet
Out of curiosity how hard is it to find parts for OMC products (Mainly Ford)? Ive heard a lot of people talk bad about OMC but I have found numerous parts for OMC products even new or remanufactured stern drives from a place called GLM products.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Out of curiosity how hard is it to find parts for OMC products (Mainly Ford)?
Manifolds are a huge issue. The fuel injection system used in later fuel injected Ford models are impossible to get. In fact, if the FI goes out, you might as well throw a carb on it. With my 1987 back in 2002, I was finding to hard to find some of the fittings like what is used for the dipstick. Personally, I would never buy an OMC because of the future parts issue. I would definitely NEVER buy a King Cobra with the cone clutch.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
but I have found numerous parts for OMC products

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,..... It only takes one single NLA part to turn the whole thing into scrap parts,.....

southkogs

Staff member
If you already own the OMC ... don't panic. You can keep 'em running quite a while in most cases. My most recent one was 40 years old and is still runnin' for a buddy of mine.

If you're buying a boat, unless it's an EXCEPTIONAL deal I would recommend steering clear of OMC.

93seaswirl

Cadet
Ive found certain parts (used) at boat salvage places and also a placed called green bay prop up in Wisconsin, ive also located replacement Volvo penta ford FI motors that claim it will bolt up to the OMC stuff, also im thinking of getting an exhaust system for it (im restoring certain things on it and love making old stuff shine again) thinking of a corsa exhaust and my question would be is it a universal exhaust for boats ? Since it hooks up to the rubber hoses on the risers.

Bondo

Staff member
and my question would be is it a universal exhaust for boats ? Since it hooks up to the rubber hoses on the risers.

Nope,.... There'll be different angles, locations, 'n diameters,.....

southkogs

Staff member
Plenty of parts available new too. What year OMC are we talking about?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you can get a new captains call exhaust for anything (as in they custom make it to fit anything) when you see the price, you will probably crap your pants. be prepared.

you can also get a custom exaust from CMI as well.

Not sure if blowing $2k on exhaust for an obsolete drive and motor would be worth it.

Green Bay propeller does have a bunch of salvage boat parts. they also will help when you bust your prop and need it fixed.

GLM parts are questionable for quality, especially the manifold and riser castings. you will most likely need to machine the gasket mating surfaces

93seaswirl

Cadet
I've found manifolds and riser from Moore marine performance parts for 595.95 for the set with gaskets. And I like restoring things, you don't see a lot of ford powered boats that have been restored and well taken care of.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
You don't see many restored yugos either

93seaswirl

Cadet
No Title

Attachments

• photo236060.jpeg
    photo236060.jpeg
    120.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo236061.jpeg
    photo236061.jpeg
    116.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo236062.jpeg
    photo236062.jpeg
    104.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo236063.jpeg
    photo236063.jpeg
    189 KB · Views: 0

93seaswirl

Cadet
I've got a couple of more things to do to her but I got the our drive repainted and put the pin stripe back on tinted the windows and now I'm in the process of repainting the black bumper from

93seaswirl

Cadet
No Title

Attachments

• photo236064.jpeg
    photo236064.jpeg
    126.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo236065.jpeg
    photo236065.jpeg
    83 KB · Views: 0
  • photo236066.jpeg
    photo236066.jpeg
    138.6 KB · Views: 0

93seaswirl

Cadet
New gauges, the driver side and passenger side dash pads were just replaced due to rot (only rot on the boat) floor is original from 1993, the wood for the rear seats are original as well, this boat was kept in dry storage for 14 years, I've got the original bill of sale as well.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Make sure you store your drive down. Besides being hard on the bellows, the shift cable will last way longer. The shift cable is a major issue on Cobra drives.

sam60

Captain
I have a 93 Seaswirl 250 SWL. Seems the parts are worth more than the boat. If I was/were a bit more ambitious I'd be looking for a '72 1/2 ton to drop the 454 in.

Last edited:

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Listen to what Bruce said, the cable on mine was on the boat when I bought it 13 years ago and it's still good. The bellows can last as long as 10 if you keep it down, mine has. I check it for cracks every year.
Personally I like the Cobra system. I wish BRP had fully supported them and marketed them because they were a good product once the issue with sticky cables and confusion over the adjustment was worked out.
It shifts better than an Alpha, the bearings and gears are bigger and it holds more gear oil. The impeller is much easier to replace and so is the bellows. Adjusting the cable is not rocket science either. With the tools and up dated instructions I tsught myself to do this in about 2 hrs.

Last edited:

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
In my experience with an older OMC, it seems that parts are making a comeback. As long as you look at owning your boat as a hobby, your doing just fine. If you needed to drive your boat to work every day, it might be an issue. Once you do some research and find suppliers, you'll realize there are more parts out there than you realize.