Part number help please -- gasket between elbow and transom Mercruiser 165

ihaveabrownboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hope I've got the terms right. My Mercruiser 165 parts manual doesn't show this so am assuming it's considered an engine part. The parts manual I've got doesn't show engine parts.

What I'm calling the exhaust elbow is the tube with the flapper valve in it. I need the gasket between it and the transom plate. Roundish with the three bolt holes if I remember correctly.

That was the one gasket and/or sealing surface I didn't touch when the engine was out. On muffs last night noticed a drop down in to the bilge. Can't see this area with the engine in. But could see or feel everything else. So am assuming the drippy leak is there. It's slow, it doesn't keep the boat out of the water the few times it might go yet this fall. But it annoys me. So lifting the engine back out to change it will be a winter project.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Part number help please -- gasket between elbow and transom Mercruiser 165

Need year of engine, and model, particularly is it a 4cyl or 6cyl....

ihaveabrownboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sorry. It's a Mercruiser 165 as mentioned. Inline six Chevy from 1980.

haulnazz15

Captain

Probably rubber o-rings for the exhaust passage and the the relief port. I'm not sure on the number of bolts, but the V8 version has 5 bolts. I bet yours has 4.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

haulnazz15

Captain

This should show it, but I don't see anything here: http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...nbr=1605&bnbr=13&bdesc=EXHAUST+ELBOW+ASSEMBLY Looks like it might be the "O" ring here #13 http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...br=1595&bnbr=30&bdesc=GIMBAL+HOUSING+ASSEMBLY not sure if this is yours, but should be part of the gimbal housing. Hope this helps a little.

#13 and #14 - which is three rings in total, is what should be replaced if you're going to do it. One main exhaust passage, and the two relief ports underneath. It would be difficult to tell which one is the culprit, and if one is leaking, the others are probably the same age/condition.

ihaveabrownboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

#13 and #14 - which is three rings in total, is what should be replaced if you're going to do it. One main exhaust passage, and the two relief ports underneath. It would be difficult to tell which one is the culprit, and if one is leaking, the others are probably the same age/condition.

O-rings are (generally) cheap so I'll get them all just to make sure everything is in hand when the time comes. That parts breakdown has a note showing the smaller ones as for V-8 engines only though. The smaller ones might also be in a standard o-ring assortment pack. Either way it's not worth the nuisance of not having them in hand when needed.

I'd seen that breakdown page but had apparently looked without seeing. I was expecting a gasketed surface so didn't zone in on the o-rings without the breakdown showing the tube in the same illustration as the o-rings. Sucks not being familiar with what you're looking at. Thanks again for the help guys.

Are the bolts that hold that tube on reachable and is the tube then serviceable with the engine in place? Or should I count on lifting the engine out again to change them?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

You're going to need to pull the engine. Part number for the big 'O' ring is 25-20863, for the smaller ones (which you shouldn't need) 25-23145.

HTH.

Chris.......

ihaveabrownboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You're going to need to pull the engine.

Chris.......

Given how it all looks and sets in there not unexpected. Don't have a clue why I didn't pull that coupling apart and reseal it also while the engine was out. Did literally everything else inside and out while it was all being worked over. Never really looked at that terribly closely and it just didn't clue in that it was another service point.

Oh well, it's only a light drip right now. So can make it a winter project without worry. Seeing it answers my question about why the bilge pump was pushing out a good 10 seconds of water every half hour though. Having done it all once now there is a very good chance I won't say nearly so many bad words R&Ring the engine the second time around. Get this fixed and it's actually going to be a very dry old boat inside.