parkway trailer restrictions...

unixgeek13

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi...<br /><br />Does anyone know of a website that would give me what roadways do not permit trailers?<br /><br />Me and my F150 with our 20' Regal will be making the trek next week from Northern NJ to the South shore of Long Island. LI is a spider web of parkways and I'm not looking to add any tickets from John Q Law to my vaca expenses!<br /><br />Thanks!<br /><br />...Steve...

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: parkway trailer restrictions...

Call the local NYPD they cover most of the roads you will travel...ask for traffic enforcement.<br /><br />Bob

levittownnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

In N.Y., The only safe rule is that Trailers (even small ones) are NOT permitted on parkways. There are very few exceptions, such as if there is no other road to the area (like from Merrick Rd to Point Lookout) you may use the Meadowbrook Parkway on that leg of the trip.<br />You can get just about anywhere on L.I. using the L.I. Expressway (495) or other highways that have route numbers.

jlshields

Petty Officer 1st Class

WHAT!!!Trailers not allowed on parkways? You've got to be kidding. Happen to know the reason for that? Just call me Curiois John.

FlyBoyMark

Ensign

What the H*** is a "Parkway"? (being from Florida..)

unixgeek13

Petty Officer 3rd Class

as Steven Wright once asked...<br /><br />Why do we drive on a parkway and park on a driveway?<br /><br />Thanks, friends, for the info...<br /><br />btw.. contacted NYPD and asked the question... sure enough, all named parkways, NO TRAILERS ALLOWED!<br /><br />On freeways, highways, and expressways? just fine for the trailer.<br /><br />Why? Because that's how it's always been! Up until this, you couldn't even register an open-bed pickup as a non-commercial vehicle in NY. If your looking for sense, look elsewhere!<br /><br />Thanks all...<br /><br />...Steve...

unixgeek13

Petty Officer 3rd Class

oof ... that was supposed to read "up until this YEAR"

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

FlyBoyMark,<br /> You've never heard of the Sunshine State Parkway? You probably call it the Florida Turnpike now. Name was changed about 1966.

levittownnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

A "Parkway" is a way to the Park. (Most parkways in N.Y. terminate into a park).

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I drive from Warren county NJ to the Hamptons on Long Island, NY taking the major road ways and have not had to avoid a parkway. <br /><br />Just be aware that the speed limit in NJ with a trailer is 55mph, and in NY it's 65mph.<br /><br />I like to hang a banner on the back that says "Caution: motor falls off boat without warning". That keeps the tailgaters away. ;)