Parkway trailer restrictions???

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
The NY state Parkway system prohibits the access of trailers from parkways. This is from the NYS website:

All vehicles (including passenger cars) with trailers or cargo carried on the roof are not permitted on parkways in New York State.

Its not just commercial trailers that are prohibited, but passenger cars with trailers too. A few weeks ago due to a closing of the Throgs Neck Bridge, I was forced to use the Cross Island Parkway while towing the boat. No tolls, and police did not stop us.

Has anyone else towed their boat on the NY Parkways and been stopped by the police?

rndn

Commander
Re: Parkway trailer restrictions???

I always trailer on the NYS Parkway along Lake Ontario and have never once been bothered. I also see many other boaters and they are never bothered. Are you sure the rule is not just for commercial vehicles?

"Like other New York State Parkways commercial traffic is restricted from traveling on the Lake Ontario State Parkway"

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I always trailer on the NYS Parkway along Lake Ontario and have never once been bothered. I also see many other boaters and they are never bothered. Are you sure the rule is not just for commercial vehicles?

"Like other New York State Parkways commercial traffic is restricted from traveling on the Lake Ontario State Parkway"

Yeah, it specifically says passenger cars with trailers are prohibited. Maybe its one of those laws that are not strictly enforced.

Bifflefan

Commander

We have 10+ trucks get tickets every day on the parkways at the company i work for. But thats a different story.

Ive been trucking for 20 years and recall ever hearing of a pass car get a ticket for a trailer any parkway, unless they are using it in a commercial business.
Id just call the local state police office and ask them, as they are the enforcing body. They will know the answer.