Paragon Trans Compatibility?

CuttingEdgeNY

Seaman Apprentice
I have a chrysler 360 motor with a paragon v drive tranny on it. I found out that the motor is blown. I would like to put in a chevy motor cause they are easy to find parts for, as my chrysler is almost impossible to find the parts I need for the right prices. Can anybody tell me if a chevy motor would bolt up to my tranny now, or would I need to change something on a chevy motor or on my trans? Thanks. Ken

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Paragon Trans Compatibility?

The chevy won't even bolt up to the bellhousing, then you have flex plates, pilot bushings, and ................... who knows what else will be different.
The parts are available to make the changeover, but they won't be cheap.

CuttingEdgeNY

Seaman Apprentice

ok gotcha. so what tranny should I look for, brand, or model or what would fit with the chevy? I'm new to boats, and I have never looked for a trans before. All i know is that it's a v drive and the prop shaft in the bilge is a flat plate with 4 holes in it? Thanks

SSSuper83

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When you say "blown", how far gone is the 360? Hole in the block? Or just bearings and a crank? I have been a Dodge guy all my life, and believe me, it takes a lot to smoke a small block Chrysler engine. Let me know the extent..but just offhand I am guessing that keeping your Chrysler engine would be a much cheaper and smarter move.

CuttingEdgeNY

Seaman Apprentice

Hi,
when i say blown, i mean that the block is cracked. I have been looking for a new block but everyone is either selling a reman for 500-800 bucks for a block, nearly 1000 for short block, and up from there for a long block.
I can't find anybody who will sell one for just a hundred or two. But the chevy's I can find one anywhere, junkyard, friends, local redneck even. I can't find out what to do from here to get the boat in the water.

Bondo

Staff member

Can anybody tell me if a chevy motor would bolt up to my tranny now, or would I need to change something on a chevy motor or on my trans?

Ayuh,... What you need to do That,....
Is a Fully Dressed Mercruiser or Volvo motor(aka; SBC) set up for an INboard configuration....
It's All the Marine Dressin'$ that co$t$ the Ca$h....

CuttingEdgeNY

Seaman Apprentice

Ayuh,... What you need to do That,....
Is a Fully Dressed Mercruiser or Volvo motor(aka; SBC) set up for an INboard configuration....
It's All the Marine Dressin'$ that co$t$ the Ca$h....

Whats a fully dressed engine mean? What is the marine dressings are you talking about? Like marine starter, water pump, alternator etc.. or something else.
So what you are saying is a marine mercruiser or volvo engine would bolt right up to the tranny I have bolted to my chrsyler engine right now?

Bondo

Staff member

So what you are saying is a marine mercruiser or volvo engine would bolt right up to the tranny I have bolted to my chrsyler engine right now?

Ayuh,... To the Best of My knowledge,....
The junction point to Swap, from Chrysler to Chevy is at the Flywheel Housing/ coverplate....
I think you'll find it's a standard marine transmission pattern at the Aft,+ Chevy/ Chrysler fore.....

Fully Dressed is the difference between a Long Block motor,+ a Fully Dressed marine motor being bolted into a Hull....

An I/O dressed motor is Not a Plug, 'n Play for an INboard motor either....