Papers needed to enter Canada across the great lakes

Air Traffic

Seaman Apprentice
We are looking at going across Lake Huron and north along the Canadian shoreline from north of the Sarnia Ontario area. I heard that you can use a passport but must then only enter at certain ports and return to the U.S. the same way. I also heard there was a document you can get that allows you to enter Canadian water much less restrictively, basically you can cross anywhere you like. Does anyone know what this document is and how to go about getting it? Also the time frame needed for these documents? Any help would be appreciated.

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: Papers needed to enter Canada across the great lakes

You will need a Passport or equivalent, Arrive at a designated Port of Entry, and Contact Canadian Customs immediately upon arrival.
Until Customs arrives for inspection, Only the Captain may step off the boat for the purpose of Phoning Custom.

The same procedure applies to Returning to the US.

More Information.

Last edited:

Air Traffic

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, I believe it's the I-68 program I heard about. Has anyone gone through this? What's involved in the interview and the like. I live close to Detroit so that part would be easy.

UncleWillie

Captain

I have talked to them casually.
It is a simple Face to Face interview at their their office.
The FBI or someone checks your story and you get a card a short time later.

Be aware that Every Person on board will have to have their own card or you will need to go through the normal customs check.
You must return within 72 hours and stay within 25 miles of the border. It is $16 Per Person per year.
This program is intended more for someone who crosses the border on a routine basis, like going to work.

Unless you plan on using it at least once a month, it may be more trouble than it is worth.