Palm Beach Fishing explodes!

The only people not catching fish are those that are not fishing. The best fishing in recent memory is happening as I write this. <br /><br />Sailfish, dolphin, king mackerel and cobia are leading the charge. <br /><br />Local sailfish tournaments have set staggering records of sailfish releases. In the Silver Sailfish Derby sponsored by the West Palm Beach Fishing Club approx. 75 boats were fishing. Boats were calling in fish every 1 minute and 20 seconds for a 3-day total of nearly 1000 fish caught and released. I believe the Ft. Pierce Sailfish Derby had an even better catch ratio. <br /><br />Although we did not fish the tournaments we caught and released many sailfish over the last few weeks. There were a few days when summer like weather conditions occurred and slowed the sail bite, over all fishing has been incredible. <br /><br />Yesterday, I fun fished with local Captain Joe Dobbins and Matt Webster on Matt's 33' Hydro Sport. We went 2 for 6 on sailfish (had a kite mishap), had 10 kings up to 45lbs. and 6 dolphin to 15lbs. The weather was awesome and so was the fishing. <br /><br />I'm convinced that it is not coincidence the all of a sudden the spanish sardines and cigar minnows show up and fishing breaks open. No bait, no fish! Rather unusual for this time of rear there are acres of bait schools off the beach out to deeper water. You can see the pelicans diving all over the place. Hopefully the bait will stick around this winter and hold this fish close to Palm Beach. <br /><br />We caught a sail with a tag in it and that data showed it was caught last year in Del Rey Beach, Fl. I guess he was a local boy that did not have to travel for to find food.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
Re: Palm Beach Fishing explodes!

quiet, ya'll!.... Don't anybody tell aspeck... :p <br /><br />The word on the street is that aspeck has a hand full of wendys/airtran coupons, and he ain't afraid to use em'............... :D <br /><br />I just hope the fish stick around... <br /><br />Might have to blow off my weekend plans... dunno... Looks like it's gonna be a bit sporty out there according to NOAA... Of course, NOAA has been wrong before.... :rolleyes: