Painting the cowling cover

bowrider

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm looking into paint the cowling of my 74, Evinrude 115. Anyone has some advice on techniques, what paint to use, and where can I get the original or similar stickers?

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: Painting the cowling cover

Look on ebay for the decals. I see a ton of stuff like that on there all the time.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

All kinds of places for the decals. Look on this site for some. Regarding painting the cowling, if you still have the colour you want on the motor then any auto paint supplier will be able to mix you some up....or once again i am sure that you can get some from the advertisers out here.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Looks good. Let me know how it works out for you. I may be in the market for some at the end of this season

bowrider

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't have the original color, my hood is so old and faded....I couldn't find any on this site, and on nana's store on ebay, they don't have for my model, I sent an email to see if they can make them. I found another set on ebay but nothing like the original design.

This is the original design:

3f16_1.jpg

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Visit just about any truck lettering graphics shop. They will have the equipment and supplies to duplicate your old lettering. Ebay is okay but I am a believer in trying to stay local with money.

Frugal Floater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not sure how good you are with graphics software, but you can try to print these from your home printer on transparent paper that has adhesive....just get a high resolution jpeg image. I am not sure how well they will stick, but I know clear address label plastic sheets stick very well on stuff and stay put in rain (people use them for homemade bumper stickers). Maybe a transparent adhesive can help...Anyway, it will only cost you a few cents so it might be worth a try...If you need image larger than 8.5X11 and your printer can't print it, then have Kinkos print it and stick it on. If you go this route, let us know how it holds up...Might be a good side business to sell on ebay:).

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

You should still be able to get really close with an old photo shot of the same motor for colour purposes. Search around on google and you will most likely find one.

Pony

Rear Admiral

Bowrider take a look at this site: Decal Site

I had them do the graphics for my 62' Evinrude. You won't need to make a graphics file, all you have to do is have a picture file and have few measurments on it so that he can make the decal. I just sent a picture along with a some measurments photoshopped on there. He will then email you an image of exactly what your decal will look like in vinyl as well as a price quote. Its pretty nice, you don't have to pay until you see exactly what you are getting......obviously he can change it a little bit if you don't like it too.

Here is a picture of the decals he made me.....which cost $18 shipped.

I used acrylic laquer spray paint to do the painting. My Restoration

Attachments

• babyevinrude0401tx.jpg
    babyevinrude0401tx.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 0

bowrider

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all the replies guys! I think I can start my project with all this info! I'll post pics of the end product!

bowrider

Petty Officer 2nd Class

oh BTW, I'm having a hard time finding a good pic of the original cowling. What happen is the PO put a cowling from a 85hp, and I want to restore it to the original 115hp look. This is what I've found so far:
This is my actual cowling:
7110_1.jpg

And this is the original for my engine:
200d_1.jpg

Pic is small, and no idea how to get the original size. Eventhough the design is very simple.

I think I can Relocate the EVINRUDE lettering, but not sure from the pic if the 115 is part of the decal or it's a badge.

Last edited:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I hope you can relocate the "Evinrude" as easily as you think. I just removed the trim piece on my '73 johnson and they had that thing "bolted" through the cover like every inch.

Frugal Floater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Pretty basic design that would only take 10 minutes to whip up using standard Microsoft Word drawing toolbar. Won't be exact, but will be close.