painting my outboard...what kind of paint and primer?

hammer250v8

Petty Officer 2nd Class
my 1991 evinrude paint is in rough shape. i want to give it a new paint job. i would like to use a black metallic paint on it. where can i get these paints and aluminum primer.i looked in west marine and all i can find is oem spray paint. TIA....james

alcan

Commander
Re: painting my outboard...what kind of paint and primer?

Hi Hammer<br /> As trent suggests use the zink cromate. Bottom line, you can use just about any paint you want (well sorta). Your local auto paint supply will be able to fix you up with something that meets your standards and budget for a custom job. I use a lot of the tempo rattle cans for touch-up work. I also buy discontinued or wrong color paint (mark down stuff)from the auto paint supply. The only thing you need to watch out for is product compatability.

sparkroost

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just a note in zinc chromate. It dries very think and porus. You just need a thin coat. After spraying, wet sand with 600 grit, then paint. This will give it a very smooth look. Otherwise you will have a sort of orange peel look.

NathanY

Commander

You dont need primer unless there is corrosion on the motor or you have sanded to bare metal. Zinc chromate is for stopping corrosion on metal for example if the motor has some salt water corrosion, you would just spray that spot and sand. If the paint is still on the motor, rough it up and spray it.

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

As one of the last steps of cleaning, wipe it down with some white vinegar. This etches the aluminum very slightly and helps the paint stick better.