painting hull?

redjet703

Cadet
My wife and I are considering attending Tin Stock. With that in mind I am thinking about dressing up our 1976 16' holiday. The boat looks pretty good for her age and being original. Cosmetically the weakest part is the hull. Thirty plus years of scratches & some touch up painting in various shades of white.

I restored my previous boat a 14' jet 14 racing sailboat. Major glass work faired bottom and painted with glossy two part epoxy paint. I feel confident about painting my starcraft, but I have some questions.

Do I rig some sort of hoist in my garage to work under the boat? Or has anyone flipped their boat upside down to sand and paint the hull?

Any ideas about masking off the "starcraft Swish" on the side of the hull. The "baby poop yellow" color screams the 70's. I kind of like it and would like to keep it. Also where can I find the vinyl starcraft letters, same size and font as factory.

Thanks in advance for any input.
DSC02581.jpg

Last edited:

Andy in NY

Commander
Re: painting hull?

the hull can easily be flipped by a few guys. just remove the windshield and motor and in your case the railing on the bow too. might be a little heavier with the seats and deck in though. rickairmedic has his flipped right now, might want to get in touch with him on that.

as for taping off the swish, just use green painters tape, you can get like 1/4" that will make the curves, then fill in the rest with 3/4" or so.

the decal, take a pic of it and go to a sign maker, or get in touch with northbeach. he made a kick azz one out of aluminum.

hope to see you at tinstock!

Rickairmedic

Commander

Red if you look in my resto thread link at the bottom of my post . My boat is currently upside down :D. Been that way for a month now ( its ready to go back on the trailer but the triler isnt ready for it yet :D ). Northbeach used an engine hoist on the back of his boat and a homeade ( redneck ) his words gantry to suspend the front of the boat when he painted his. We would deffinately like to see you at Tinstock.

Rick

Rickairmedic

Commander

LOL Andy you type faster :D. I have 2 fingers I type with predominately :D.

Red I will add here the more stuff you can get out of and off of the hull before flipping the better :D. I used rubber floor mats ( the type they sell at autoparts stores that link together ) to flip mine over on so I didnt screw up the sides :D. I also had 3 neighbors over for the flippin party :D. We slid her back off the trailer and onto some of the rubber pads then rolled her over again using more pads . I then put 2 small furniture dollies ( Harbor Freight ) under the stern end of the gunwales and put a large furniture dolly under the bow.

Rick

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Nice boat redjet! Welcome to iboats. We'd love to have you at TinStock.

Rickairmedic

Commander

Andy is right on the type of tape for doing the swoosh . I will add to it with plaan your day ahead of time . You want to tape it off paint the swoosh and then as soon as it tacks up start pulling the tape ( dont leave the tape on to long ) I made the mistake of leaving my tape on for several days and I ended up pulling up the paint under the tpe when I finally pulled it off :eek:.

Rick

Andy in NY

Commander

Redjet, there are several threads of completed and in the works restos happening with starcrafts... you can learn alot of dos and donts... check out north beach's thread in the completed section for a total "this is the way you should do a boat" and check out mine for the "i want to get in the water by the end of the summer" resto, and ricks for the " what happens when you dont take the tape off and let it get rained on then baked in the sun" and finally kevins thread for "how to make everyone believe you are going to take 8 1/2 years to get on the water" :p

redjet703

Cadet

Thanks to all, for all the great info. Painting the hull is not a huge priority right now. Having to much fun using the boat. I may very well repaint her early this coming spring. This will give me time to put a plan together. I'll read all of the sugested threads.
Thanks again.

Knotty1

Seaman Apprentice

Hi there!
Nice little boat. I flipped mine yesterday. Mind you mine is glass and gutted at the moment. Rolled her onto grass, slid her off trailer then muscled her over. Original plan was to sit it on horses but I think i'm just gonna leave it on grass for now unless I discover a ton of work needed.

I put some pics on my site... Have a look.

Good luck!

redjet703

Cadet

Any guesses as to the weight of a 16.5' holiday, minus motor, windshield, seats and extra stuff?
redjet703

Andy in NY

Commander

Any guesses as to the weight of a 16.5' holiday, minus motor, windshield, seats and extra stuff?
redjet703

my 16' jupiter is listed at 675 i think... thats minus motor. i think they figure the hull weight WITH deck, seats etc. probably in the 500 range totally gutted bare hull.

Rickairmedic

Commander

REd I couldnt tell you the exact weight but I can tell you my 16' Jupiter with nothing inside including the deck ws quite easy to take off the trailer and flip over with 4 adults doing it .

Rick