Painting Bottom on Trailer

Andrec4016

Seaman
Got my boat a few months ago 18' 83 Manatee Cuddy Cabin and planning on painting the bottom while on the trailer the question is how to move boat off the rollers to get in those areas, Any thoughts or expereinces I should watch out for<br />boat weights about 2000#.<br />thanks to all

f_inscreenname

Commander
Re: Painting Bottom on Trailer

Hook boat and trailer to the vehicle. Let some slack out on the trailer crank. Back the rig up and hit the breaks. Boat will move back on the rollers. Paint your spots. Just do not unhook you trailer from the trailer ball before you pull the boat back up to the trailer stop or you will be sorry and maybe airborne.

nelsonk11

Seaman Apprentice

I've got the same issue, but not rollers--bunks. I'm planning on jacking up on blocks and pulling trailer forward 3 1/2 ft and painting and then returning. I'll need two supports in rear (cut railroad ties) and 1 in the front.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Just put a scissor jack between the boat and frame and lift one corner at a time to paint where one bunk/roller is. When dry, let it down and do the other side. A few pieces of 2x4 or 2x6 will help distribute the weight on the hull and frame.

AntsGrady

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well the best way to paint is to put the boat up on blocks of you can. You'll need to jack it up and pull the trailer out slowly and lower and move the jacks again....etc....it's a pain but i'll tellin you it's worth it. One jack in the middle and 2 on each corner of the stern. Going between the rollers is such a pain but is sometimes just easier.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

Up on blocks with no trailer under it is definitely theeasiest way to paint. <br /><br />However you can block the boat up as high as you can and then just remove the rollers / bunks, which is much easier then getting the trailer out, and still provides enough room to easily paint, just use a roller with an extended handle to get the wherever might be a bit inconvenient. Look at this pic, the boat is blocked up, rollers removed, and I have at least a foot of clearence in the tightest sections. <br /><br />Good luck.<br /><br />
blocked1.jpg

ooootis

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It was my impression that bottom paint was useless if taken outta the water for a period of time. If this is false what type paint are y'all using and what are its limits?

phatmanmike

Captain

B0001YIUYI.16._AA260_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
<br /><br /><br />lift up the back of the boat by the tow rings and paint away. most hoists can lift 4000 pounds safely. so a 2000 boat is no big deal. lift the back and paint away. then when it dries, do the same to the front.

Buttanic

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Put a jack between the trailer and the boat. jack up the boat and put blocks on the trailer. After painting lower it back on the trailer and paint where th blocks were.