Painting and servicing outdrive

laserbrn

Petty Officer 1st Class
I recently purchased a Skipjack with a Penta 280 outdrive on it. The next step in my process here is removing this outdrive and getting into a serviceable state sorta speak.

This is my first I/O boat and I'm not really familliar with what I'm looking at. I will probably purchase a new prop as this one looks like it has seen better days and just about everything else on this boat will new. I'm going to work with this outdrive after some back and forth in my mind because the "seasoned" guys are telling me this is a great outdrive and they built like tanks. I will likely replace it in a few more seasons with a duoprop, but I'd like to get this out on the water again.

From what I can tell the outdrive works perfectly fine, I just need to get it all cleaned up and I'm looking for some information on where I should start and how to go about this.

My initial thoughts?

1) Remove the outdrive from the boat.

2) Use some kind of steel wool to clean up as much gunk as possible.

3) rough everything up with some 100ish grit sandpaper

4) Paint it with black glossy rustoleum paint.

5) Replace all of the anodes.

6)Put it back on the boat (after the engine is rebuilt).

My concerns are with what needs to be covered up when I'm painting it and what needs to be done as far as maintenance (Drain oil, pressure test, etc). I have some mussels in some of the tight little spots and I'm wondering what the best method is for cleaning all this junk off/out.

Thanks for the input, I'm looking forward to working on my first outdrive (but I'm scared a little too)!

Attachments

• DSCN2964.jpg
    DSCN2964.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN2965.jpg
    DSCN2965.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN2966.jpg
    DSCN2966.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg